Unlimited text messaging
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

I currently have a family share plan w/my husband.We have the loyalty plan which is 550 min. a month. $50 for my phone and $9.99 for his. So bill is $60 a month. Then we each have a $10 texting plan. unlimited verizon, 500 other companies. Less a 15% discount. So ends up being around $73.

I noticed on here earlier that there is a family plan for 700 minutes a month. It said I would pay $86 (due to 15% work discount) for the two lines and this included unlimited texting. Is this right? Does anyone know if I can still get the family loyalty plan with this plan? If i can, I'm just thinking for $13.00 more a month,(less if I can get a loyalty plan) we'd both have unlimited texts. I don't really need the 700 min as we only use a couple hundred a month. But maybe I would get rid of the home phone and just use cells. Am I right in that this plan WOULD be unlimited text?

And most importantly, IF I were to change to this plan, would I have to take on that dumb data plan for $10 a month on each phone? (Alias2 and Env3-I know if i get these phones now I'd need data package. But would plan change cause this addition?)

If I didn't have the loyalty plan then my current plan and this 700 nationwide w/unlimited txting would actually cost me $4 less than I am paying now for limited texting!!! Shouldn't verizon notify me that there is a better plan for me?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlimited text messaging
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

lrando1 wrote:

I currently have a family share plan w/my husband.We have the loyalty plan which is 550 min. a month. $50 for my phone and $9.99 for his. So bill is $60 a month. Then we each have a $10 texting plan. unlimited verizon, 500 other companies. Less a 15% discount. So ends up being around $73.

I noticed on here earlier that there is a family plan for 700 minutes a month. It said I would pay $86 (due to 15% work discount) for the two lines and this included unlimited texting. Is this right? Does anyone know if I can still get the family loyalty plan with this plan? You'd have to check with customer service - I'm not sure how they integrate the LOYALTY plans....or if they even offer them anymore :smileysad:  If i can, I'm just thinking for $13.00 more a month,(less if I can get a loyalty plan) we'd both have unlimited texts. I don't really need the 700 min as we only use a couple hundred a month. But maybe I would get rid of the home phone and just use cells. Am I right in that this plan WOULD be unlimited text?

And most importantly, IF I were to change to this plan, would I have to take on that dumb data plan for $10 a month on each phone? (Alias2 and Env3-I know if i get these phones now I'd need data package. But would plan change cause this addition?) YES, the Env3 and the Alias 2 both now REQUIRE the data plan, and by changing your minutes, or texting options, you are changing your plan and would trigger anotehr $20 a month in data charges.

If I didn't have the loyalty plan then my current plan and this 700 nationwide w/unlimited txting would actually cost me $4 less than I am paying now for limited texting!!! Shouldn't verizon notify me that there is a better plan for me? No, they don't monitor everyone's plans and usage to tell you if you can get a better deal....that's entirely up to you!!  Actually, I used to get letters that told me they had a better plan for me, but it didn't seem to be much of a deal, so I never did change plans!

New plans - 700 Minutes Talk & Text (unlimited text, 700 shared minutes) for 2 lines - $99.99 less your discount, but add $19.98 in data charges, so you'd be better off sticking with your current plan.  How close are you to your 500 text limit?

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah I figure I will just stay w/current plan. I go over occasionally but not enough to amount to anything. Hubby's internet is blocked so he does REAL good :smileyhappy:

Re: Data plan. I talked to a Verizon rep yesterday who told me changing to this plan would not cause the data packages to be activated. Only if we upgrade/change phones. Like everything Verizon says, I "assumed" she was correct?

0 Likes
MPhotox2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I dont think that is correct. Since you would be changing your plan, the data package requirement would be triggered, and you would have to pay the additional $9.99 for each phone you had that is on the required data plan list. At least that is what I was told by 2 different reps when I called 2 weeks ago.

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

Emailed Verizon few days ago re: whether my changing to the unlimited texting/700 min family share plan would force a $9.99 data package onto our phones. I have Alias 2 and hubby has Env3. A rep called me and told me I would NOT have a forced package added to my account. She said where I had the PHONE prior to 1/18 I am grandfathered in until I upgrade one of the phones. Then I would have to have the data package.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let usknow what your bill looks like, lrando....after you've made the changes!  Seems that's the only way we are going to know how the new plans are implemented for "grandfathered" phones - how far does the grandfathering go?

I haven't heard yet from someone who has made changes and how their bill was affected, whether or not the data was added.  Guess we haven't been through a billing cycle yet to know, but I'd like to hear what bills are like after changes....

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

I won't be a good test subject as I don't plan to make the change. This plan would be $13 more a month for me. My hubby never goes over the 500 text. I occasionally do but only by a few. So it's not worth it for me to have unlimited texting. I'd love to hear from anyone else that made a similar change though. Did you avoid the data Package or did you have to get it?

0 Likes