Re: I'm getting more and more corrupt text messasges, [No content]
tigerelephant
Enthusiast - Level 1

IT WORKS!  

(On the iPhone go to settings > general > keyboard. There you can turn “smart punctuation” off.)

My own tests over the past month+ had led me to conclude (as did other posters) that this was a problem in iOS 11, but having no idea how to solve it, all I could do was check back here in the hope that some day someone would post a solution.

And thanks to you, that day has now come.

Much gratitude to Bobcat.IT  -   and also to MrTom0000 for having started this thread.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MrTom0000,

We appreciate all the troubleshooting that you have done on your own. Since you were able to at one point receive texts that were not giving you the error symbols, you are correct; there needs to be a fix. The other community members have pointed out some good tips for the person with the iPhone to check settings. Has the person with the iPhone gone through the suggested settings? If so, has that worked in you then receiving the text correctly on your LG enV3? Can you also verify that this only happens in your texts when you receive it from iPhones or is it happening with Android models as well?

AliciaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!"

0 Likes
ROBABR61
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for this suggestion.  I will certainly ask my iPhone friends to try it.

0 Likes
HJLLARY
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Vzn Wireless Customer Support,

I appreciate you actually reading this forum and responding to questions but I'm still pretty frustrated that it doesn't look like Verizon is actually involved in efforts to fix the problem of dumbphones not being able to read texts from smartphones.

Here's the deal. I have a dumb phone. It's old news that it can't read texts with emojis. But it's new and incredibly frustrating news that it can't receive ANY text from an iphone that contains an apostrophe. Telling every one of my friends with an iphone (ie the majority of my friends) to change the settings on their phone is a partial solution but not a full one. Here's why. I'm not friends with every person who texts me. Perhaps someone is texting me about something I'm selling on Craigslist or I've just gotten someone's number and am texting them. Suppose the first text they send me is illegible. Do you want me to demand that they update the settings on their iphone so I can read their text? Would you do that? And what's going to happen when a simple setting change on an iphone won't change my dumbphone's ability to read texts from an iphone? What will happen when this encoding problem isn't limited to iphones? What should I do when Androids have some fancy encoding my dumb phone can't read? Or what if the texts from a company bot are illegible on my dumb phone? Should I call the airline company and tell them to change their texting settings because I can't read that last text they sent me about my flight status? Obviously no.

Your engineers need to take this problem seriously. It's only a matter of time before dumbphones can't read any text from any smartphone. In effect, this means that you, Verizon wireless, with your 147 million users, of which some non-insignificant percentage have dumbphones, will be paying for a plan to have a cell phone that can't receive texts. Text messages. Dumbphones really can't do much more than make and receive calls and texts, so losing this functionality is completely unacceptable.

Please have your engineers work on a solution that actually accounts for this problem. You could consider figuring out how the app GroupMe works. It's designed to accommodate group texts between people with smartphones and dumbphones so it corrects all "fancy" punctuation (and even emojis) so that no matter what punctuation or emojis are in the text that a smartphone user sends, the dumbphone user can read every single text from them. For instance, "fancy" punctuation like an apostrophe from an iphone comes across as a ? in the text my phone receives, which preserves the text as being 100% legible for my phone. This is exactly the sort of solution Verizon needs to come up with so that it can support the people who pay for Verizon service on their dumbphones. Please don't rely on people in this community finding hacks as a solution to a much more complicated problem.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered checking out the new LTE basic phones now available to see if they handle more complex messages?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HJLLARY,

I understand your discontent and your feedback is greatly appreciated. As a consumer I know unexpected changes/enhancements can be discouraging and we certainly want you to have the best device to fit your needs. I'm here to help, let's review your options. I will be sending you a Private Message momentarily.

AyaniB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
NAmabile
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree this is getting quite ridiculous.  And the canned responses are getting quite tiresome.  Having to tell a prospective employer or even an Uber driver to change their settings in their iPhone and then to send the message again is not only annoying but very unprofessional.

Not everyone has the time or money to get a smartphone just to fix a problem of receiving apostrophes.  That's outrageous.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your concerns with text messaging are valid and we want to help find a solution. While we don't expect for you to ask everyone in your contact list to adjust their settings, we recommend looking into a smartphone since you rely on this service for business and daily life. You mentioned cost was a concern but we have devices at low costs. In the end, you will save on time and frustration by having a device where you can read the entire text message. Here is a link with our current smartphone offers: http://vz.to/2w4S32m. Please share your thoughts.

SheritaH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ROBABR61
Enthusiast - Level 1

AMEN!  Great editorial and explanation.  Too bad the only real solution offered is to purchase another phone.  I really like my "dumb" phone, but it looks like I'm going to be forced to upgrade very soon.

0 Likes
KKOPROWS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for clarifying this for me. I have the same problem with my Casio dumbphone. Sometimes I receive texts from iPhones that just show up entirely blank, other times they come through just fine. I will try this partial solution with close friends, but something else must be done...

Verizon's offered solution of encouraging people to upgrade to a Smartphone is quite ridiculous. Have you considered that there are many of us who do not want a Smartphone for reasons beyond economical? Every market is diverse. If you intend to corner every costumer into buying a Smartphone in order to avoid these text message issues, you will lose customers. Apple was just sued for purposefully slowing older iPhone models with an update. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that our issue stems from Apple.

What I ask of Verizon is that they look into this. Don't tell me to get a Smartphone. I don't want one. I will go back to a land-line before I ever do that.

0 Likes