Can I sync Droid with Outlook?
BigTex75

I am sure this has been discussed at length, but I'm hoping to get the latest info.  I am a longtime BlackBerry user looking to switch to the Droid.  I use only POP3 email accounts and use Outlook for one account, and all of my contacts and calendar.  My question is can I USB sync my Outlook calendar and contacts to the Droid?  This is a must for me.  I have heard you have to purchase an app for this, is this true?  Also if anyone has this app, how convenient is it.  Thanks all...

0 Likes
Re: Can I sync Droid with Outlook?
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

BigTex75 wrote:

I am sure this has been discussed at length, but I'm hoping to get the latest info.  I am a longtime BlackBerry user looking to switch to the Droid.  I use only POP3 email accounts and use Outlook for one account, and all of my contacts and calendar.  My question is can I USB sync my Outlook calendar and contacts to the Droid?  This is a must for me.  I have heard you have to purchase an app for this, is this true?  Also if anyone has this app, how convenient is it.  Thanks all...

You are correct, it has been discussed at length and, at least for the Moto Droid, you have to have a third party app.  I use Touchdown with an Exchange server, but it has an option for direct USB connection to Outlook 2003/2007.  I have not tried it though.

I believe that there are other apps that will allow USB sync to the Droid, but I have not used any of them.  Depending on what email service you are using, there is also the option of having gmail "pull" emails from your other POP3 accounts or directly connecting to those accounts through a 3rd party app or the native email app.  That will not help with your contacts and calendar though.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

On the HTC Droid Eris, no 3rd party app is necessary to sync your Outlook contacts and calendar via USB cable.

D Dave

0 Likes
blamiya1
Contributor - Level 3

Here are the steps to sync Outlook with the Droid:

If you use Microsoft™ Office Outlook™ on your work

computer, your phone can synchronize emails, and

events with your Microsoft™ Exchange server.

Find it: Menu > Settings > Accounts & sync > Add account > Corporate

1 Enter your user name (username@company.com),

password, email address, and server details

including domain name and security type (server

address is the same URL you use to access your

company’s email using the Web on your computer).
Note: Contact your business IT department for

server details.

2 Touch Next.

3 Set up your sync options: select email, contacts, or

calendar.

4 Touch Save & sync.

0 Likes
Gandalf2

Brittany,

That is Great, thanks for the help.  Just got my Droid last night and so far it is the best.  Keep up the good work.

Wes

0 Likes
Andrew_C
Enthusiast - Level 2

Brittney's instructions are only if you are on an Exchange server and syncing is still spotty because of Droids incomplete Active Sync implementation.

If you're on Desktop Outlook connecting with personal email accounts, you will need a 3rd party app to sync. This was, imo, a big mistake from Verizon &/or Motorola.

0 Likes
Re: Can I sync Droid's with Outlook?
jeffpack1957

I use touchdown as well  for my exchange hosted e-mail,  but my msn e-mail  cant be used with googles default mail client.

I get these darned e-mail client unexpectedly ended, but switching to K9 e-mail  client fixed that.

0 Likes
blackdognorth

jeffpack-

You removed the Touchdown app and installed K9?

0 Likes
Andrew_C
Enthusiast - Level 2

@blackdognorth

Touchdown is for Exchange syncing. K-9 Mail is for reading POP3/IMAP accounts.

I use K-9 Mail for my Earthlink and work email (non-Exchange) because the native email client blows. It can't delete mail from the server, even if you have it set to do that.

0 Likes
ClCto

CompanionLink has an app that will sync Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes directly to Droid using the USB cable.

0 Likes