Data Transfer Rates?
RUSBEL98
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently ran out of Data using HotSpot. Based on my received Verizon messages, I supposedly used 2.46Gb in 33 Minutes. That equates to a transfer rate of 1789 Mbps. I don't believe that. Help!!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Transfer Rates?
berlinlt2
Contributor - Level 1

I'm having the same issue with the hotspot on my phone and the data on my tablet. I cant even use my hotspot hardly off my phone and it burns through the data. My tablet rarely gets used and is on the old 2gb plan since I don't use it. I recently used it like 1.5 weeks ago. I burned through the data which I knew cause I was watching youtube since my phone hotspot wasn't working. I got a message saying 50% was used then 25% was used. It reset on the 25 and only briefly used it Saturday to test hotspot on that compared to my phone then shut it off. Wake up this morning 8/28 and I had an email saying I have 0% remaining and $15 would be charged for 1 gb of additional data. I contacted Verizon and they said ignore the message at its an error and I have used .5gb so I have plenty left. We will see. I need to check that account

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RUSBEL98, we understand the importance of having enough data for your mobile hot spot. How long has this been going on? What device were you hooking up to your mobile hot spot?

JoeyM_VZW            

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Berlinfire, we always want you to have the data that you need. Mobile Hot Spot will absolutely use more data as the data is used on the device as well as the device that you are allowing that access to. In the case of a tablet, as streaming quality is 1080p, you will see that even more data is consumed to provide that quality. You may certainly always adjust the settings to lower viewing quality. When speaking about reported data use, as data does not report in real time, like a phone call, there will be times that we do not have exact totals on data that has been used until that last session has been reported in by the tower the device was connected with. I hope this helps explain your experience.

LorenB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RUSBEL98
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has happened the last 2 months. A windows 10 desktop is the only device connected to hotspot. It is typically connected once per month for Microsoft Monthly Updates. I computed a transfer rate of 1789 Mbps based on Verizon alerts for 50, 25, 10,0 percents and time stamps for said alerts. They showed 2.46 Gb data being transferred in 33 minutes. I just cannot believe this rate.

0 Likes
weskeene
Enthusiast - Level 3

As shocking as it is, a 2.46 GB Windows update is completely within the realm of possibility. Microsoft released the Creator's update not long ago. Perhaps your computer updated to it while on the hot spot?

0 Likes
RUSBEL98
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’m appalled that Win Updt could be so huge. Guess I’ll have to move computer to a my home for an Internet update and forget using Wi-Fi Hotspot. Thanks for your time and effort.