HELP! Verizon Not Honoring Switch Terms!
Damascus
Enthusiast - Level 1

We were with ATT with two iPhones. We went into a Verizon store and asked what deals they had for us to switch. They said:

"Trade in your iPhones 6's and we will give you $300 per phone trade in credit"

OK, we said, but we would still owe ATT money because we're on a device installment plan with them.

"How much money will you owe ATT?" they asked.

About $200 per phone, we said.

"Oh no problem, we will pay off your ATT device balance with a VISA GIFT CARD for each phone!"

OK great, we said. So please confirm this: you will give us $300 trade in per phone, and you will pay off our ATT device balance with a Visa gift card?

"YES!" they said. "All you need to do is submit your final ATT bill online and you will get a Visa gift card in 6 to 8 weeks!"

So that's what we did. We traded in our phones and signed up with Verizon. Verizon gave us $300 each for our iPhone 6's. We then got a bill from ATT stating we owed them $400 ($200 per phone in device payment balances), so we paid that bill off. We then submitted that bill online to Verizon for gift card reimbursement, as instructed, and awaited our gift cards.

But NO. We got an email stating we aren't eligible for the gift cards because some nonsense about the trade-in value exceeding the device balance at ATT??  This of course is complete fraud. NOWHERE does it say in ANY of Verizon's promotions that if the trade in value exceeds the balance owed at the previous carrier then Verizon won't pay the balance off.

Verizon has done a total BAIT AND SWITCH on us and we are furious. There is NO WAY we would have EVER switched to Verizon if we knew we would be on the hook for $400 to ATT! The Verizon rep told us we would get $300 per phone for trade in *AND* a gift card for up to $650 for whatever balance we still owed ATT. Now they are reneging and not honoring the promotion.

We want our $400 gift cards we were promised to pay off ATT.  If we don't get our cards we are suing Verizon and we will start a class action lawsuit. HELP! Verizon you need to fix this NOW.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HELP! Verizon Not Honoring Switch Terms!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WhatTheActual,

Having your trade in credit is really important. Our trade in team can help look into the credit. They can be reached at -> http://vz.to/1YmuwS0  800-416-8894

ShirazP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The switch promotion is UP TO $650 less the trade in value.

You got exactly what you were supposed to. If you submitted the final bill from your previous carrier online at www.vzw.com/swtich then these terms were CLEARLY spelled out for you. All you have to do is select eligibility requirements and read the first requirement.

Verizon Wireless: ETF

What are the eligibility requirements?

Switch your number from any postpaid wireless carrier to Verizon, trade in your current phone, and activate a new 4G LTE smartphone purchased on device payment plan. Trade-in phone must be in good working and cosmetic condition and the phone last used with your prior carrier. If you are seeking reimbursement for any final balance on a device payment plan with your prior carrier, the trade-in phone must be the phone on which the balance is owed. Promotional Reimbursement consists of Verizon Wireless Visa® Prepaid Card in amount of carriers Early Termination Fee (up to $350) or final device payment plan balance (up to $650), including lease purchase option if applicable, minus device trade-in credit provided by Verizon.

Looks like you owed $400 and traded in 2 phones to receive $600. You're $200 ahead.

0 Likes
JANAE023
Enthusiast - Level 2

The same thing happened to me , i now owe sprint 1700 out of pocket. Bait and switch salesman just put me nearly two grand in debt.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The switch promotion does require the customer to PAY their previous carrier FIRST before they can submit the claim for reimbursement.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You put yourself nearly $2,000 in debt by NOT knowing what you were signing up for before putting your signature on the paperwork. If you read the details before signing you would have known.

Do you frequently sign contracts without reading them?

0 Likes
LET2Y

Any update on this? I have one phone that had a $140 termination fee. I gave up my phone and was denied? I don't understand why, I didn't get a credit for another phone. If anything they had a promotion on a free phone when you became a new customer. So why won't theye pay the $140

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

LET2Y wrote:

Any update on this? I have one phone that had a $140 termination fee. I gave up my phone and was denied? I don't understand why, I didn't get a credit for another phone. If anything they had a promotion on a free phone when you became a new customer. So why won't theye pay the $140

Did you trade a phone in to Verizon when you switched?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question. All information about your trade in and reasons why a credit would be denied, can be provided by our Trade in Department. We want to make sure you can get this resolved. Follow this link to find out all the information about our trade-ins and how to contact our Trade in Department, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trade-in-program-faqs/.

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!  

0 Likes