Why Won't my iPhone 6 Unlock For International Use?
DALCHE38
Enthusiast - Level 2

I fully understand that the policy is that all 4G iPhones (5 and higher) are already unlocked. I've called Verizon 3 times and got this same answer each time. The problem is that my iPhone 6 is STILL locked for international use. It will not accept a German SIM, and gives the "activation policy" error message even after a full factory reset. Both Apple and the German network point at Verizon.

Before we moved overseas, we did have the phone replaced and got sent a replacement from Apple. Could this be the issue?

Can someone actually CHECK to see if the phone is unlocked, and not just tell me what the policy is?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 6 Won't Unlock for International Use
Weth
Legend

Uh oh, looks like you got one of the cursed replacement phones that gave the wrong policy set up by Apple.  It is true Verizon cannot fix it.  It really is an Apple mistake.  It is very hard to find someone at App,evthat understands and can fix the phone.  This has been written about several times in these forums and the Apple forums.  Unfortunately, you are in a bad situation that is not your fault. 

''Sim Not Valid'' on activation screen! *PLEASE... | Communities

Carrier - Verizon iPhone 6 / 6 Plus - Some Locked against International Use | Page 8 | MacRumors For...

How do i unlock iPhone 6

why can't unlock my IPHONE 6?

Factory Unlocked but Overseas Locked.

Why can't I unlock my international device?

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

Uh oh, looks like you got one of the cursed replacement phones that gave the wrong policy set up by Apple.  It is true Verizon cannot fix it.  It really is an Apple mistake.  It is very hard to find someone at App,evthat understands and can fix the phone.  This has been written about several times in these forums and the Apple forums.  Unfortunately, you are in a bad situation that is not your fault. 

Carrier - Verizon iPhone 6 / 6 Plus - Some Locked against International Use | Page 8 | MacRumors For...

How do i unlock iPhone 6

why can't unlock my IPHONE 6?

Factory Unlocked but Overseas Locked.

Why can't I unlock my international device?

DALCHE38
Enthusiast - Level 2

Weth,

Thanks for the response. At least good to understand the problem...

0 Likes
DALCHE38
Enthusiast - Level 2

Weth,

This was absolutely the case with my phone! Thanks for the help. The first link that you recommended above was extremely helpful and I kept it open while I chatted with support...Yes, after all the phone calls and wasted time going back and forth between 2 carriers and Apple, this problem was solved through chat.

For others with this problem, try going to your Repair Order from the replacement. The Repair ID will be in an email that Apple sent you at the time of the replacement. There will be a link at the bottom of the page to "Contact Apple about this Repair". Click that and select chat.

Going this route, lets you get straight to the problem, a faulty replacement, and avoid lengthy discussions about carrier activation policies. Going the chat route also let me paste the exact language from Weth's first link (also below).

The problem was escalated to an advisor and the advisor filled out a request to send to an engineer. A few hours later, I received an email from the advisor saying that the engineers had "made some changes on this end". Had to do a factory restore through iTunes for their changes to take affect, but then the SIM worked perfectly.

Thanks again, Weth!

----------------

Read this before you call Apple and then keep it handy...

After you get to a Level 2 Tech or Senior Advisor, paste this in or tell them...

The policy for the phone to work domestically and internationally should read:
US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 = Fully Factory Unlocked for U.S. + Worldwide Use

As opposed to something like:

US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy = Unlocked Domestically / Locked Internationally

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DALCHE38, we want you to use that device to it's full potential. The iPhone 6 is unlocked to use on a different network. You will need to contact your international wireless provider to assist you with provisioning that phone to work on their network. I apologize. We're unable to support that device from here on our network.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DALCHE38
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem was fixed by Apple.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes