Won't detect USB modem in new HP laptop running Win7
JohnF

I see others have this problem too. Everything new and updated plus I spent over an hour on the phone with Verizon tech.

USB modem installs fine and shows as working in device manager but Access Manager can't find it. When AM looks for the modem it sometimes says "detecting modem" and other times says "configuring modem" but it never does either and ends with the same error "device not detected".

I disabled the wireless card, shut off the firewall etc but still no luck.

Any solutions yet??

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Won't detect USB modem in new HP laptop running Win7
DavidVairin

Sounds like lots of us are in the same boat.  Did you get this resolved?  I am having the exact same problem.

Thanks,

David...

0 Likes
JohnF
No luck so far
0 Likes
DavidVairin

I have been emailing back and forth with Verizon on this issue.  The latest download 7.2.1 from the verizon site DOES NOT support windows 7.  There is a conflict in the drivers or something.  They say that development and engineering are working on the issue, but they don't have a time-frame for release of new drivers.

0 Likes
GinaZC

John,

Here is what happened to me: 

I had the same problem. I had to uninstall the VZ access manager and reinstall.  After a while, I saw a message that I needed to uninstall the modem drivers.  After reinstalling, Windows 7 recognized them but wouldn't accept them because there wasn't a digital signature.  I presume that I had the old drivers from Vista and that was why I was having issues with the software (who knows).  After uninstalling all of it the Windows 7 finally kicked in (who knows)  Anyway, it was after all that when  I saw that Windows 7 wasn't accepting the digital signature from my MiFi 2200.  Until a permanent solution is found, this at least made it so my device works.  You may have to uninstall and reinstall the VZ access program and drivers.  Or, you may just want to wait for an official fix. 

During reboot, hit F8 and find the option on the list to turn off the digital signatures.  Like I said, not the best option, but it works now.  I assume that I will have to do this with each reboot, but at least my device works now.

Good luck

Gina

0 Likes
Tami

I am having the exact same problem.  Have tried absolutely everything to fix it.  Rolled back my windows system, uninstalled and reinstalled my VZAccess manager, ran countless utilities on the hardware and software, accepted devices without signatures, changed my UAC, booted in safe mode, disabled all my security features, bought a brand new modem, the list goes on and on...nothing has resolved the problem.  No conflicts in Device Manager but the VZAccess manager cannot detect the device.

However, if I load the same VZAccess manager version on my husband's 64 bit Vista laptop (mine is a 32 bit Vista) it works perfectly, no problem.  Understand that the problem started with my other USB modem that I replaced as part of my troubleshooting efforts.  So I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware.  I really think it has something to do with a windows update that isn't playing nice with the VZAccess program.  Since it suddenly stopped working after a windows update and the modem and VZAccess software hadn't changed.  But I am having problems uninstalling the window's updates, which should be telling me something.  Also can't get back to a restore point prior to January and I started seeing my problems at the end of December.

If anyone finds the fix please post it!  Having it work on my husband's machine does me no good and I am going to cancel my account if I can't use the modem!  Paying good money for a service I can't use and spending way too much time to try fix it myself since I can't get much help from the Verizon techs.

0 Likes
Tami

Interesting article that might be the problem.  I'm admin on my computer, will set up non-admin account and see if it works...

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-MiFi-Devices/VZAccess-Manager-does-not-detect-WIFI-ada...

0 Likes
kenrbnsn

I have the same problem on a new Dell laptop running Windows 7, which I had to buy when the disk on my old XP laptop went south.   I tried setting up a standard user, but that didn't work. Has anyone found a solution to this mess yet? I don't want to pay $60/month for something that doesn't work.

Ken

0 Likes
aintigreat

Get a wireless router from CradlePoint thats how I was able to connect after I upgraded to windows 7 I got it from  http://www.3gstore.com/cradlepoint

While were on the subject 3gstore has an exclusive file that will get your modem to connect via windows 7 and usb modem.  I would call and ask them.

0 Likes
Hemingray
Enthusiast - Level 3

USB760? Are you using the latest version of the VZAccess manager? I was able to get mine to work with Win7 x64 with no problems.

0 Likes