How do I avoid data charges while traveling?
SB2649

I'm traveling to Italy. I want to be able to txt and talk but want to avoid data charges (I'll use local wifi to connect to the internet). If I turn off 'cellular data' on my Iphone 6 will that get me what i want or do i need to something else?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Travel to Italy - how do i avoid data charges yet still txt and talk?
Weth
Legend

The iPhone 6 supports Wi-Fi calling so you should use this. On settings/phone you should see a setting that says Wi-Fi calling turn that on. Will need to enter your home address and that's for 911 purposes. Once you do that your Wi-Fi calling to set up. When you get on the plane to go to Italy set your phone airplane mode and when you land turn only wifi. You should see VZW Wi-Fi in the upper left corner this indicates that you can text and call on Wi-Fi it will be no additional charges.  You can test this at home before you leave to make sure it works.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

The iPhone 6 supports Wi-Fi calling so you should use this. On settings/phone you should see a setting that says Wi-Fi calling turn that on. Will need to enter your home address and that's for 911 purposes. Once you do that your Wi-Fi calling to set up. When you get on the plane to go to Italy set your phone airplane mode and when you land turn only wifi. You should see VZW Wi-Fi in the upper left corner this indicates that you can text and call on Wi-Fi it will be no additional charges.  You can test this at home before you leave to make sure it works.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Staying connected with calls and texts is important, SB2649. Let's make sure you have a low cost way to do this. You are correct that in turning off your cellular data will help you avoid any unwanted data charges while you're abroad. You can use WiFi calling as Weth stated to keep the costs for phone calls down as well.

JosephE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
SB2649

Thanks to both of you - these answered my questions.   Unfortunately I don't see a button that I can click to state that.

0 Likes