Verizon Cloud Eating Battery Life
citapinc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good afternoon developers!!!

I currently use a Samsung Note 4 and love the phone.  I've never used or setup the Verizon Cloud service because I simply don't need it or care for it.  Recently my phone got the Android 6.0 upgrade and I love all the new features.  However since installing Android 6.0 my battery life went from 24+ hours down to around 8 hours or less.

After looking at the Battery Usage, it shows that your Cloud application was using up the most CPU and Battery time.  I also installed GSAM Battery Monitor and that also confirmed that your Cloud application is eating up all of my battery life.

I've attached screen shots showing the stats on my phone with your Cloud Application Disabled and your your Cloud application Enabled and fully updated BUT NOT EXECUTED AT ALL.

First and foremost, this is a bug that needs to be fixed.  Now sure why your app is using up so much CPU cycle and eating up so much battery life, but the app shouldn't be doing anything if the end user doesn't touches the Cloud app.

Second, what would be the harm if I disable the app?  Honestly I wish I had the option to Uninstall this and other Verizon apps I'd do it in a heartbeat.  But until then, can I simply disable this app without causing anything else going wrong?

Thanks

7/7/2016 with Cloud Disabled

Screenshot_2016-07-07-21-42-10[1].png

Screenshot_2016-07-07-21-42-14[1].png

7/22/2016 with Cloud Enabled and all updates applied

Screenshot_2016-07-22-15-51-22[1].png

Screenshot_2016-07-22-15-51-46[1].png

Screenshot_2016-07-22-15-51-53[1].png

Screenshot_2016-07-22-16-00-32[1].png

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Cloud Eating Battery Life
NJ-Magicman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Man that sucks.  Send a note over to the developers at VerizonCloud@VerizonWireless.com.  They tell me they are working to isolate the problem so more of us who contact them with our scenarios, hopefully can get us a fix.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
NJ-Magicman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Upgrade to the newer version 16.3.24.3 that was released last week or the week before.  That should fix the battery suck.  If not, try sending them an email at the address in the google play app store with this info. 

0 Likes
citapinc
Enthusiast - Level 2

NJ, that's the version that's on my Note 4.

This morning I decided to take this one step further and actually setup Verizon Cloud to see if it still drains the battery.  Sure enough Cloud is still eating up 27.3% of my battery and as of 4:10pm I now have 37% battery life left.  Normally at this time of day I'll have around 65% or more left.  And yes, I had the phone plugged in while Verizon Cloud was getting setup and doing it's initial backup.  I unplugged the phone after the backup was finished at 100% battery at around 10am this morning.

0 Likes
NJ-Magicman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Man that sucks.  Send a note over to the developers at VerizonCloud@VerizonWireless.com.  They tell me they are working to isolate the problem so more of us who contact them with our scenarios, hopefully can get us a fix.

0 Likes
Notefan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Let's hope as for the last few updates,  even latest one it still sucks the battery dry. I have it setup to backup at night on wifi only and yet it is the highest battery user during the day.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a long lasting battery is super important Notefan.How long have you been having this issue for? I do know that the Verizon can consume battery if it does have a lot to back up. Was this your first initial backup?

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
citapinc
Enthusiast - Level 2

This started happening right after the 6.0.1 OS got installed on my Note 4.  I've confirmed that deactivating the app restores battery life, then reactivating the app and updating it to the latest version WITHOUT EVEN LAUNCHING THE APP will kill the battery life.  I even went so far as to run the app, create a cloud account and backup everything and the battery still drained quickly.

As of today the app is still disabled on my phone and I'm waiting to hear back from the Cloud team when an update is pushed up to Google.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

citapinc,

I appreciate all you have done to isolate the cause of your battery drain. As you have stated you have been in contact with our Cloud developers regarding the application causing the battery drain I have no doubt in my mind they will get to the bottom of this issue. As for now I would suggest to keep the application disabled, as it is not an application you use, until the fix has been released. Thank you for your patience as this is being addressed.

LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CLIDER57
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, 3 months later and still no solution to this issue? I have a Note 4 and am having the exact same issue. I'm using Android Marshmallow and now the Verizon Cloud version 16.4.28.1, but it seems these complaints fell on deaf developer ears. I emailed them again today.

It would seem the fix is simple, give us an option to only allow backups to occur when on WiFi AND Charging, problem solved.

Verizon Rep, please forward this suggestion and the original poster's issue as well to the development team's supervisors.

0 Likes
marcuss_vzw
Verizon Employee

CLIDER57, I definitely understand that you don't want the Verizon Cloud to keep running in the background. In order to stop this you can go into your Settings> Manage Applications> All> Cloud> Force Stop and Clear Cache. You can also go into the Verizon Cloud> Menu> When To Back Up>At Night Only. And How to Back Up> Wi-Fi Only. Try these out, and let me know if that works.

MarcusS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupportIf my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes