Go back to basic voice mail from basic visual voice mail?
jorhay

I have a nexus 6P and recently activated HD Voice. When I did this, my voice mail changed from basic to basic visual voice mail. But, when someone leaves me a voice mail, I don't get a notification icon, I get a text message from 900080006202 that looks like gibberish. Through the My Verizon app on my phone and My Verizon on the web site, I only have the choice between Basic Visual Voicemail and Premium Visual Voicemail.

How do I go back to just plain old, basic voicemail?

TIA

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Go back to basic voice mail from basic visual voice mail?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can log into your MyVerizon account online and go to the Block Services section and add a Block Visual Voicemail feature on your line. That way you can be sure you have only the Basic non-visual voicemail.

I also think if you view all the features on your plan it should list the voicemail type active on the line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
locutus1701
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Nexus 6p on Verizon as well. Here are the steps I took to get voicemail notifications and and visual voicemail (using Google voice). Remove the Visual Voice Mail on your account and switch with basic voice mail. With basic voice mail, you will no longer get odd text messages everytime you get a voicemail. You will now get prompted when there is voice mail waiting (clicking on the notification will dial voicemail where you have to enter your password). You can configure Google Voice to handle voicemails so that they appear in the native dialer's voice mail tab after you select the "Voicemail display" option in the Google Voice app.

0 Likes
locutus1701
Enthusiast - Level 3

I changed to basic voicemail by going on MyVerizon on my computer choosing "My Plans and Services -> Manage Products and Apps." There should be an option for basic voicemail. If that does not work just initiate a chat with verizon and they can switch it for you in no time.

0 Likes
willetta
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did a "chat" with support, no help

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I regret to see you did not get the help you were looking for, willetta@459. The visual  voicemail application is not supported on a non Verizon branded device. This may be the reason why activating HD voice auto switched to the feature. We  can always check the account features that you have to switch it back to the basic. Please look for a direct message from me so I can get more details from you.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MASTERROM

I honestly didn't know if I had basic voicemail or basic visual voicemail on my account.  I have since learned that you can check by logging into your voicemail, choosing option 4 (personal options).  If you have Basic voicemail you should get option 1 (turn voicemail waiting indicator on/off.) If it skips to option 2 (admin options) you don't have it set up on your account, which was my case.

I used the chat option, talked to Jeremy, explained to him that I get a gibberish text when someone leaves a voicemail instead of the indicator.  He acknowledged that the Nexus line is having issues with visual voicemail and immediately offered to change my account to Basic Voicemail.  He also mentioned that there isn't a place online to see which type of voicemail you have as this change is so seldom done that Verizon didn't add it.

While he did this I received another text on my phone as if there was a voicemail waiting (there wasn't).  Jeremy said he didn't think anything he did caused this so don't worry if you see this.

Now, after the rep says the change has been completed you still need to log into your voicemail on you phone, and now the option 1 should be there allowing you to turn on the voicemail waiting indicator.

NOTE: as of this writing I still cannot 100% verify my indicator works as I haven't tried it yet but I wanted to get this down while it was still fresh in my mind.  Good luck. 

NOTE 2: What I was doing as a workaround(I also explained this to Jeremy, he wanted to use this for others going forward if need be) was to add the text message from Verizon to my contacts, name it "Listen to Voicemail".  So, when someone left a voicemail and I got the gibberish text, at least it was named "Listen to Voicemail" so I knew I had a message waiting.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can log into your MyVerizon account online and go to the Block Services section and add a Block Visual Voicemail feature on your line. That way you can be sure you have only the Basic non-visual voicemail.

I also think if you view all the features on your plan it should list the voicemail type active on the line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes