Why is Visual Voicemail not supported over WiFi?
Haroil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is Visual Voicemail not supported over WiFi? Seems like an unnecessary requirement to consume Verizon data services to me...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is Visual Voicemail not supported over WiFi?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The Visual Voice Mail requires (to the best of my knowledge) a connection to the Verizon Wireless network so traveling outside of the network will not allow you to receive those message any way.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

It does not consume data from your allotment but it does need to have Verizon Wireless data connection to retrieve you messages. It is network only offering. If you are not connected to the data network and would like to check your VM you can still dial *86 and enter you PIN to listen to messages.

0 Likes
Haroil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, Verizon, for your speedy response. While you are correct that Visual Voicemail itself does not consume data, one turns on cellular data for the full phone and all apps *could* consume cellular data at that time. For example, if while traveling internationally I turned on cellular data simply to use Visual Voicemail, it is quite likely that other apps on my phone would consume large amounts of cellular data at that time which I would prefer to avoid (very expensive!). Yes, I could selectively disable all of my other apps from all external communications, but that is not practical.

So, a question: Does Verizon have any plans to enable Visual Voicemail over WiFi to get around this limitation?

Thanks!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so glad we could address your concerns today Haroil. There are no plans at this time to support Visuual Voicemail over Wifi. However we do make changes all the time to better support our customers. I will lift your suggestion up to our leadership team.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I am not Verizon. I am just a customer like yourself.

0 Likes
ANGBAR49

I am having the same issue, very annoying

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Why is it annoying? There are other ways to access your voicemail just like in years past. In the service area you can dial *86, use the voicemail contact in your address book, or dial your cell number. It's really quite simple.

0 Likes
Haroil
Enthusiast - Level 2

For me, this limitation of Visual Voicemail (VVM) is annoying because, when

the phone has cellular data turned off, VVM produces "false alerts" that

are indistinguishable from true "You have voicemail" alerts. Yes, I could

disable VVM altogether, but it's nice to have sometimes. Having a

WiFi-enabled VVM would be a "nice to have", but clearly not a requirement.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:54 AM, pherson <forums@verizonwireless.com>

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The Visual Voice Mail requires (to the best of my knowledge) a connection to the Verizon Wireless network so traveling outside of the network will not allow you to receive those message any way.

0 Likes
Haroil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gotcha, thanks. Still, the annoyance factor is there, and would be nice to

have an easy way to prevent the false alerts from Visual Voicemail ("You

may have voicemail", followeed by calling to check). Again, clearly in

the "nice-to-have" category. I'll probably just turn Visual Voicemail off.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:34 AM, sprmankalel <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes