How do I get my phone's trade-in value?
cassiek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would really like to send this to Verizon Customer Service in an email, as it's a little personal. But since that is not an option, I'm just going to leave this here and hopefully get a response. Is anyone else upset about this? Probably not. Maybe I'm just complaining about first world problems, but still.

I did an early upgrade from my iPhone 6 to an iPhone 6s at the Cedar Hills Best Buy in Beaverton, Oregon on May 13th, 2016. I was fully expecting to be able to return my iPhone 6 to Verizon for a trade-in credit of $250. It wasn’t until after my transaction was processed that the salesperson, Terrell, told me that I could not get any credit for trading in my phone because I was doing an “early upgrade.” This salesperson poorly communicated what the contract entailed and it wasn’t after I had signed all the paperwork that this was mentioned to me. To be honest with you, I think this practice is sneaky and not fair to customers. It’s a great way to lose business. Essentially, I am having to pay $950 out of pocket for my new iPhone 6s, which is absolutely ridiculous and a total rip off. Trade In Value = $250.00 New Phone = $699.99 Approx. Total = $950.00 If I had known about this trade in situation before hand, I honestly would have switched carriers altogether. But, now I’m stuck having to return my old phone (which I have FULLY paid for and is currently worth $250.00) and pay installments each month on a new phone. I spoke with someone via Verizon chat and they told me that I could get the trade in value back. I spoke with another Verizon representative via the phone to confirm this and they told me the opposite. I was on the phone with Verizon and Best Buy for approximately one hour. I would greatly appreciate a refund of $250.00 credited to my Verizon account. $250.00 may seem like a small amount of money to some people, but it is not to me. In my case, it’s half of a rent payment. I’m not asking for charity, I’m asking that you do the right thing for myself and for future customers. If I could go back in time prior to May 13th and not have to go through this process, I definitely would and I wouldn’t have tried to do an early upgrade.

Thank you for reading this and I appreciate your listening to customer feedback. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Cassie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I get my phone's trade-in value?
pherson
Champion - Level 1

WWhen was the phone exactly paid off?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

You are not doing an early upgrade if your phone is paid off.  It has to be one or the other.

Since the iPhone 6 came out 19 months ago, you could not have completed 24 monthly payments.

THe Edge agreement allows you to trade in your phone early and Verizon forgives any payments due.  You then start fresh with a new installmen agreement.

(so you are not paying the full amount on the iPhone 6)

OR you can pay off the phone 100% at any time and do what you want with it.

cassiek
Enthusiast - Level 2

mama23dogs pherson

Here's the confusing part, when I got my iPhone 6 I paid for it in full at the time of purchase. I had traded in an iPhone 4 at the time and I think I only had to pay like $100 bucks because of that promo. I was not making monthly payments on the iPhone 6 because I already own(ed) it. I never had to "pay it off."

Verizon even told me over the phone that Best Buy screwed up and did an override on an early upgrade when they actually shouldn't have. But, they won't own up to it and that salesperson who made the sale "doesn't work there anymore." The person at Best Buy told me, over the phone, that I could come in and he could give me credit toward a new phone case?? Uh no.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

AT this point you're better off selling it yourself. There's some really good sites such as www.swappa.com or even on ebay. Man not be what you wanna hear, but you may even get more for your phone especially if you have all the original stuff.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

cassiek wrote:

mama23dogs pherson

Here's the confusing part, when I got my iPhone 6 I paid for it in full at the time of purchase. I had traded in an iPhone 4 at the time and I think I only had to pay like $100 bucks because of that promo. I was not making monthly payments on the iPhone 6 because I already own(ed) it. I never had to "pay it off."

This simply means that you signed a 2 yr service agreement in exchange for purchasing a reduced price phone. You did not pay for the phone "in full", instead you are "paying the phone off" by keeping your service for 2 years. Until you complete the 2 years of service, you are still "paying off" you phone. That is why you were told you were doing an "early upgrade" because you had not yet completed your 2 yr service agreement. When doing an "early upgrade" such as this, you are required to turn your phone in to Verizon. Your other choices would have been to pay for the phone at full price UP FRONT or to wait until you complete your 2 yr service agreement. You are not given any credit for it, but instead simply allowed to upgrade early and spread out the full price payment over 2 yrs. To get credit for your phone, you would have had to finish "paying off your phone" by completing your service agreement.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

BBut now that I think about it didn't early upgrades go the wayside so she was actually doing an edge up or whatever it's called? And second OP cassiek how much exactly pay for your first iPhone?

mama23dogs
Legend

You're right and that makes sense, with an early upgrade on a 2 year contract, he is required to turn in the phone.

@cassiek if you paid less than $650, you did not pay full price. 

YOu can find you receipt in your my Verizon account, in My Documents.

JrGlicks
Enthusiast - Level 3

But you go to their website and click trade in and it says INELIGIBLE and thats it.  There are no more options.  If you go and pay off your phone then, you just gave verizon money, there's nothing to be gained.

0 Likes
JrGlicks
Enthusiast - Level 3

SWITCH TO AT&T.  Your only power is to leave and walk away.  At&t is way less shady.  Verizon doesn't know what they are doing.  They'll figure it out when everyone leaves.