Random numbers, letters, and symbols on messages being received.
dustinsc

So i have this problem once in a while where my messages come thru as symbols and wierd letters and numbers and stuff like this "iP?Mo¥à vX.àßA àßD WåkPzÅ Soo?òTN¥KgòÆt.SéiwÉ ?àRo æÑù5àr7ò4O àà2hƧ" It is from the same person as other messages so I know that it isn't a signature or something. It only happens on a really long message from them.  It seems to only happen from two people so far.  They are both Verizon customers and have different phones.  one the same as me LG env touch and the other I think is an env 3. I have all txting options and should be able to receive all txt without problems.  Anyone have any solutions for this. The only ones I seem to find are people that have symbols in the message or in the signature. and that is not the case.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Random numbers, letters, and symbols on messages being received.
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Are you sure everyone has their signature turned off? The server will send those numbers if any of them are using a signature. Make sure everyone has signatures turned off.
0 Likes
dustinsc

Yes i am sure they don't have a signature. The one person said that it only seems to happen when they send me more than one page but that shouldn't be an issue because we both have the same phone and are both verizon.

0 Likes
Pilerman
I think that the two people are using a symbol in their signatures that r being lost in the translation between their phones and yours. The one person has an identical phone to yours so that tells me that its not a compatibility issue between your phones so it must be that the Verizon txt servers aren't sure how to handle the symbols. I can send a txt to two different AT&T customers with this symbol: ń and it will through question marks between every letter in my text making i?t?v?e?r?y?h?a?r?d?f?o?r?t?h?e?m?t?o read. I realize that is not the case for you because you said these two folks are through Verizon. Have them change whatever special character they are using (in most c@ses, th3y @re using something in place of a letter) or have them shut off the signatures when txting you and the problem should be solved.
0 Likes
dustinsc

I know its not a signature issue. Like i said it only seems to happen when they send more than one page txt message. But also like i said i should be able to recieve them.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

dustinsc wrote:

So i have this problem once in a while where my messages come thru as symbols and wierd letters and numbers and stuff like this "iP?Mo¥à vX.àßA àßD WåkPzÅ Soo?òTN¥KgòÆt.SéiwÉ ?àRo æÑù5àr7ò4O àà2hƧ" It is from the same person as other messages so I know that it isn't a signature or something. It only happens on a really long message from them.  It seems to only happen from two people so far.  They are both Verizon customers and have different phones.  one the same as me LG env touch and the other I think is an env 3. I have all txting options and should be able to receive all txt without problems.  Anyone have any solutions for this. The only ones I seem to find are people that have symbols in the message or in the signature. and that is not the case.

It only happens on a really long message from them

That's the key phrase - and here's why:

From Verizon's FAQ about text messaging -

Non-EMS phones may not properly convert an EMS message to an SMS message; the message received by the non-enhanced text messaging phone will be unreadable. Both sender and recipient will be charged for unreadable messages.

"Long" messages are considered enhanced, and some phones are simply not capable of handling them.  I do see that your recipients have the Env3 and a Touch - which seems like they SHOULD receive the messages ok.  Maybe they need to contact Verizon and see that their text messaging is set up properly.  Are you using any formatting (colors, different fonts perhaps?) in your text?  Or smiley characters?

0 Likes
dustinsc

I don't think that the problem is the ems messaging.  I seem to have no problem when it comes to videos pics and tones only long txt only messages no symbols no nothing.  Just txt. Please anyone trying to respond to this read ALL responses before trying to say something i already said it wasn't. And it doesn't happen the other way around like when i send a long text message to them.

0 Likes