Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update??
wlm9700
Enthusiast - Level 3

When will the Galaxy S5 get the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update? I would love this update.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update??
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
bearone21
Legend

keep watching, t-mobile already got it.

Lankylegs
Contributor - Level 1

Still watching.

adamg23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can a representative of Verizon speak to this? And not just the same old "you'll know when you see a notification on your phone"... If we could just have someone from verizon actually get in touch with their development teams or higher ups I'm sure a real answer could be provided.

My S5 is very limited due to disk space issues that Android 6 would resolve. Constantly I have to manually go in and delete the cached files just to create enough disk space on the device to download updates for apps. Ridiculous. If the Android 6 update cannot be provided on this device I and others need to know so plans can be made to drop Verizon and get a new device with a carrier that will actually provide support.

0 Likes
KSGerber
Contributor - Level 1

I have no idea if and when there will be an update. Historically Verizon will not announce an update until very shortly before it comes out. As to your lack of memory, if you don't have a memory card, get one (they are very inexpensive) and transfer photos, videos, music, etc to it. If that does not help then you can free up memory by going into your browser Chrome and clear browser data, delete emails from your trash bin, delete old texts, use the My Verizon app and go to your devices and choose your cell phone and run the Run Device Health Check App. Go to Storage and clear it. This should help you a lot. If you have a lot of apps you can delete ones you don't use as a last resort or clear data from the ones that are not important to you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wlm9700, having the latest and greatest software is a must. We are always working very hard to ensure this happens for you. The Samsung Galaxy S 5 is a great device but no new news on the software update as of yet. Click here for the latest version that is listed on the phone. http://spr.ly/6583BmFAN Is it possible to move your files over to an SD card?
NatashaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Lankylegs
Contributor - Level 1

No but it is possible for me to take my 3 lines to another carrier. This phone [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] .

0 Likes
adamg23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm already using an SD card. The problem is the limited usage of an SD card with Android 5.0. Android 6 includes a feature that allows an SD card to be formatted as extended storage of the device itself (so the operating system sees the device internal storage and the external SD storage as one volume). This will allow apps to be automatically installed on the SD card as well as the device, whereas currently the S5 cannot do this. Obviously I keep as much of my media files as possible on my SD card (photos, music, etc.), but it's horribly tedious to try to move apps to the SD card, and then generally when updates are applied most apps will just move back to the device storage anyway. This leads to the issue I described before where the device is constantly running out of space and space needs to be cleared just to apply updates to the installed apps. Simply put - this phone is a nightmare to manage. It requires constant babysitting every day to run properly. I can't imagine non-techy people being able to get by using this phone in its current state. THIS is why it needs to have the update to Android 6 available more than anything else.

Give us a real date. If it's not going to happen I need to know so I can cancel my "contract" with Verizon and move on to something better.

Thanks

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

adamg23 wrote:

Android 6 includes a feature that allows an SD card to be formatted as extended storage of the device itself (so the operating system sees the device internal storage and the external SD storage as one volume).

Samsung devices with Marshmallow don't have adoptable storage.

0 Likes
adamg23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Proof?

This is a main feature addition of Android 6 so I doubt they'd leave it out. If so, I'm dropping this hunk of junk immediately.

0 Likes