Re: How is it possible to accrue data charges on wifi and asleep?
Weth
Legend

Plug your phone into the charger at night.

How much data is being used. It would be normal to use small amounts, several MB, on cellular even if on wifi. This is the phone "phoning home" to confirm its connections.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stephaniearmstrong I understand not wanting to be charged for data that you are not using. The iPhone has a special feature called Wi-Fi Assist. What this feature does is connect to our data if the signal is stronger than your Wi-Fi. No need to worry as you can turn this feature off. Please go to settings – cellular – all the way to the bottom – turn off wi-fi assist. If it is already off we can continue with our troubleshooting.
DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
skippydoodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is scamming MANY people as far as data usage goes.  Got a Galaxy S5 in October, and while I'm not doing anything that I didn't do before with my other Android phones, the data use is WAY up, and I'm on wifi probably 85% of my day.  I read and read all kinds of comments re:this scam in this forum and finally tried doing what a couple of people said:TURN OFF YOUR MOBILE DATA whenever you are on wifi because Verizon phones don't automatically switch over from mobile data (when you are using data on-the-go) to wifi.  I can't believe all the ridiculous comments from the Verizon representatives.  It doesn't matter what kind of a smart phone you have; if you're with Verizon, turn off you mobile data while on wifi so that Verizon doesn't have the chance to rip you off for overages.  I've had my mobile data off for 3 days now, and my data has gone up by .001 as opposed to using (at times) more than .125 in a DAY.   Freakin' crooks and ignoramuses.

0 Likes
skippydoodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

turn off your mobile data while asleep and any time you are on wifi anywhere because Verizon is scamming people by not having the phones automatically switch over from mobile data to wifi.

0 Likes
skippydoodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Stephanie, turn off your mobile data any time you are on wifi (even when asleep with phone off).  I was "using" data like crazy ever since I got my Galaxy S5 last October.  I've barely used .016 in three days now.

0 Likes
skippydoodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Stephanie, sorry if  you already read what I posted a little while ago.  I thought I was replying to this one.  In any case, I just learned this from doing a lot of research on Verizon's forums, (I too, was "using" data like crazy since I got my Galaxy S5 in October) that whenever you are on wifi, you need to turn off your mobile data.  Apparently, in some of Verizon's phones,they are using mobile data instead of your wifi.  Phones are supposed to automatically switch over, but as you and I and many others using Verizon have come to find out, this is NOT happening.  Turn  your mobile data off even when you go to bed, whether the phone is off or on.  I've been tracking my supposed data use for the last couple of months, and it's been insane and just plain wrong.  Using data in LARGE amounts while I'm asleep with the phone off.  Give me a break!  You can't tell me that Verizon's rep's don't know about this; they can't be that stupid.  They're probably told deliberately not to tell customers who complain about this issue.  This has worked for me since I started doing it three days ago; I have used a total of .016 gb in 3 days as opposed to .075 in one day for numerous days.  Pretty sure this will work for you as well.  I watch videos every day on Facebook and YouTube on my phone at night and haven't noticed any slowing down or difference.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes
DPAWLU

The same thing has been happening to me for the last three months. My iPhone 6 went from using less than a gb of data in a month, to eating up nearly 3gb in less than ten days, some of it during the wee hours when I am asleep. I spoke with reps who all have the same answers that I see on these pages. I have had to "upgrade" to a more expensive plan twice in two months to avoid overage charges.

Something very fishy is going on with Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Verizon Wireless is here to help you out DPAWLU. As a consumer myself, I know data usage can add up quickly so we cant to keep in under control. Data reflects the type of usage, apps, bit rate or resolution being used. Has anything changed on your device since you noticed the increase? Do you turn off your mobile data when you are not using it to avoid   background data from being used?

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DPAWLU

I have spoken to several people at Verizon and they all offer the same suggestions and non-solutions. There is no reason that after years of using extremely small amounts of data, with no changes in my habits or usage, suddenly my phone will use half a GB at 3 a.m. It's just ridiculous. I have had to turn cellular data off completely, making it a pain in the neck when I have to turn it on temporarily to use an app if I am away from my WiFi.

0 Likes