Motorola Droid Issues
CJR
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Motorola Droid device 12 days and am seeing two problems. 

(1) On my optonline email account, mail deletes itself once I read it.  It does not delete from the server when I access it from my computer. 

(2) Secondly, the goggle maps no longer locates my position as before (it was very accurate).  Now it is off by 1/2 mile.  I contacted Verizon technical support and they say to exchange the phone (first they heard of problem).  I also contacted cablevision and they said my setting were correct and problem is not on their end.

Anybody else having these problems and/or have a fix?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Motorola Droid Issues
CJR
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, problem 1 solved!

(1) On my optonline email account, mail deletes itself once I read it.  It does not delete from the server when I access it from my computer. 

The answer lies in going to your email program on your computer and working your way to an option that says to store the email on the server. Everything works perfectly now.  I got help from Tech Support from my email carrier (in this case Cable Vision- Optimum online).  That was my third call to their Tech Support after I trouble shooted the problem further.  The end result is that you will get many wrong answers until you get the right answer, as Verizon (exchange the phone) and email carriers are not that familiar with the various methodologies of these different smart phones.  I have found that these forums are very helpful in sharing information and insight to various problems.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

CJR wrote:

I have Motorola Droid device 12 days and am seeing two problems. 

(2) Secondly, the goggle maps no longer locates my position as before (it was very accurate).  Now it is off by 1/2 mile.  I contacted Verizon technical support and they say to exchange the phone (first they heard of problem).  I also contacted cablevision and they said my setting were correct and problem is not on their end.

Anybody else having these problems and/or have a fix?

1) Are you saying that  once you read an email on the Droid it deletes it from the Droid but not from the server, so you can later access it from your computer?  Or, is it deleting the email from Droid and the server when viewed from the Droid?  I don't know the folder structure for optonline, but is it possible that you are viewing the emails from an "Unread Mail" folder and not the "Inbox"?

2) Do you have GPS turned on?  Menu > Settings > Location & Security > Use GPS Satellites (should have a green check by it)  If GPS is off and "Use Wireless Networks" is on, the phone will default to Cell tower location and your location will be off by quite a bit. Unless you happen to be standing under the cell tower.

0 Likes
CJR
Enthusiast - Level 2

1) Are you saying that  once you read an email on the Droid it deletes it from the Droid but not from the server, so you can later access it from your computer?  Or, is it deleting the email from Droid and the server when viewed from the Droid?  I don't know the folder structure for optonline, but is it possible that you are viewing the emails from an "Unread Mail" folder and not the "Inbox"?

Yes to your first sentence: "once you read an email on the Droid it deletes it from the Droid but not from the server, so you can later access it from your computer". 

No to your second and third sentences: "is it deleting the email from Droid and the server when viewed from the Droid?"

" I don't know the folder structure for optonline, but is it possible that you are viewing the emails from an "Unread Mail" folder and not the "Inbox"?

2) Do you have GPS turned on?  Menu > Settings > Location & Security > Use GPS Satellites (should have a green check by it)  If GPS is off and "Use Wireless Networks" is on, the phone will default to Cell tower location and your location will be off by quite a bit. Unless you happen to be standing under the cell tower.

GPS was turned off, and it was indeed defaulting to cell tower, which is what I asked the Verizon Tech about that possibility, but he discounted that theory.  Thank you for solving problem (2)!

First issue still unresolved.

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

Glad I could help, at least partially anyway.

For your email problem, have you double-checked the folder you are viewing the emails in? I realize it's a longshot, but is there any chance you are not in the "Inbox" folder? It seems odd that the emai would just dissappear from the Droid but still be available on your PC, unless you purposely deleted the mobile copy, but I guess I don't have to tell you that. LOL

0 Likes
CJR
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I said before, I have aol and hotmail email addresses that all work fine.  On the optimum.net address, I get new mail on main screen with number, and when I click further, I see who the mail is from.  They subsequently get deleted without me even opening them or opening them from my computer to read them.  The problem is only with optimum.  On the other accounts, I can open them, read them, and they stay in my in box.

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

CJR wrote:

As I said before, I have aol and hotmail email addresses that all work fine.  On the optimum.net address, I get new mail on main screen with number, and when I click further, I see who the mail is from.  They subsequently get deleted without me even opening them or opening them from my computer to read them.  The problem is only with optimum.  On the other accounts, I can open them, read them, and they stay in my in box.

OK, what happens if you set the email back to "Unread" on the PC?  Does it show back up on the Droid?  Just curious.

One other thing you might try, if you haven't already, is to delete the account, reboot the phone and set it up again.

0 Likes
CJR
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, problem 1 solved!

The answer lies in going to your email program on your computer and working your way to an option that says to store the email on the server. Everything works perfectly now.  I got help from Tech Support from my email carrier (in this case Cable Vision- Optimum online).  That was my third call to their Tech Support after I trouble shooted the problem further.  The end result is that you will get many wrong answers until you get the right answer, as Verizon (exchange the phone) and email carriers are not that familiar with the various methodologies of these different smart phones.  I have found that these forums are very helpful in sharing information and insight to various problems.

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

CJR wrote:

Okay, problem 1 solved!

Glad you got it.  Maybe your trials will help someone else along the way.

0 Likes
NoleDroid

Actually, I am having the same problem.   I have a comcast.net email account.  When I first got the phone, emails came in and remained in the Inbox until I deleted them.  Then after having the phone for a total of 6 days, the emails were no longer there.  I would not think it could be a problem with the settings on my computer when it worked fine for a few days, and then stopped working.  It is also not bringing in all the messages from my email account anymore.

Please help . . .

0 Likes