Re: 5.1.1 on Note 4???
Snn5
Legend

Well, that was uncalled for.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Good luck with that. This is the Internet. I can't peer through the Internet cables to determine who you are and what you do (I honestly don't believe you do what you claim, but that's a different matter which we both can ignore as I won't respond to you after this point so it's irrelevant).

Like I said before. Verizon or any carrier for that matter gets the same money regardless of what OS version you are on. How much do you pay now? How much do you pay if your phone got the update? So why care a device gets an update. Chances are you are going to switch carriers and buy the same manufacturer thinking they get updates faster... history has shown it's random currently right now sprint is the quest buto a year removed they were dead last with Verizon give or take weeks between the two. If you worked for high end companies you would know for a fact the guys at the bottom will never know everything and you taking that rep word like it's the gospel from Samsung...

So unless you have factual proof pointing to Verizon having the update and is purposely delaying it which goes against what Samsung said multiple times since 2007 then you have proved both of them to be lying. Though developers already know Samsung is prone to lying since the release of the Note 2 and what their managers told us in a press conference.

Have a great day and I wish you the best of luck. I hope you pick you next carrier and next device correctly so you won't be doing this again on their forums.

0 Likes
perk73
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know a bit about SW Dev and you are a bit off on your assumption, if I understood you correctly.

Google creates the Android baseline.....it is up to the providers to add in their bloatware and branding; although may require action to ensure their product (Android) operates as advertised, not sure about that piece.

FYI, Samsung has noting to do with creating, patching or updating the OS.

Sift through their white papers, you'll learn a lot.

Android Developers

perk73
Enthusiast - Level 1

To clarify, Samsung does not create, patch, or update the OS; however, they can/will update their "third party" platforms for example.....the TouchWiz launcher. I guess you could say their are three parties involved in the process to get a stable product out.

Tidbits
Legend

Google makes the OS

Samsung makes modification such as TouchWiz and their features.

Carriers pay manufacturers for things like added software, VoLTE, and spectrum support. The only thing the carrier writes would be the RIL and their security batches which are given to manufacturers in advance with said bloatware. There's multiple timelines and documentation from manufacturers of the process but people don't bother listening to them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

A company can change anything in Android.

For example stage fright. I could rewrite that code on my own and not rely on Google to patch it. From that point forward I cant rely on Google to patch it.

Another example root exploits. Why does it work for some and not for others? This post will probably be flagged since I said root exploits but it's a good example. HTC doesn't use base code for a lot of things and that's why their exploits used are different from let's say Motorola.

0 Likes
OUTCASTED2003
Enthusiast - Level 3

When you sign a contract with your carrier, their responsibility is to updateall their Samsung phones to all new operating systems and any security needed for their phones that they sell. The carrier also signs an agreement with Samsung to update their phones in a timely manner when Samsung releases the final version of any software. It is not Samsung's fault, it's Verizon. It has nothing to do with getting people to buy a new phone especially if a phone isn't even a year old yet.Verizon is having problems with their bloat, touchwhiz and only want to do one 5.1 1 update for the US version and the Europe version at the same time. That's why ir  hasn't been updated yet.

Tidbits
Legend

Where in the contract it says that?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Also it's not Samsung Galaxy pushing updates. It's actually the other way around. In the US manufacturers charge carriers for updates. Samsung verified this as early as 2007 with the Behold 2 and Galaxy S, but everyone ignored it. Samsung also admitted they charged for features like call blocking and other TouchWiz features during that time as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Luck10, we want you to continue to enjoy all that your phone offers. Have you attempted the factory data reset steps that were provided? If so, what were the results?
LorenB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes