Bad or no voice signal reception in Bay Area
JongAmPark
Enthusiast - Level 3

I asked it a while ago. Network extender is not an option, because it's not only around where I live.
The overall signal reception is very low.
Take a look at this web site and choose 94608 area.
United States Cell Coverage Map - OpenSignal

Also I would like to add several screenshot I made on my Moto-X Android phone.5 Commodore Drv Emeryville.jpg

<Fig.1> At my home

Berkeley office.jpg
<Fig.2> At an office near Berkeley.

2020 Milvia St

Berkeley, CA  94704-2685

At Bay Street mall - in front of B&amp;N.jpg

<Fig.3> In Bay street mall, in front of B&N

Emery-go-around station at Bay Street.png

<Fig. 4> At Emery-go-around station ( Bay Street )

at the cross road next to Safeway.png

[removed] 94608

So, I collected screenshots I made at a few different street in bay area.

This is not a problem which can be solved by installing a network extender at home.

Sometimes, the opensignal.com page reveals nearby cell towers. I usually see that there is an AT&T tower, but no that for Verizon.
And by looking up Google, I got a feeling that those cell towers were shared by a few service providers, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile to name of the few.
However, interestingly, data network signal has been always strong enough. Probably, Verizon doesn't want to erect another cell tower for better voice network here because probably half of signal can be lost, because the area is near ocean. Anyway the true 4G network ( not the marketing oriented 4G which was deployed many years ago ) will deliver voice signal on data network like provider-supplied-VoIP technically. ( It's the definition of 4G network technically ) So, I believe Verizon somehow care data network more nowadays than voice network. ( Hmmm.. I believe a tower can cover data and voice network.. how come data network signal is always strong enough but not for voice signal? )

After googling, I found out that many people in this area complaint about the voice reception. So, I believe Verizon is going to address this issue any foreseeable future.

My 2 year contract will end next Feb, 2016. is there a way to drop 'voice' part of plan now? I have almost never used voice call after moving in this area. So, approx. 30$ for voice and another $30 for data network is that I have spilt $30 every month on a street.

Personal Information removed as required by the

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bad or no voice signal reception in Bay Area
Chill_Kyle
Enthusiast - Level 2

What kind of phone do you have? Do you have Advanced Calling turned on (if you can turn it on). Do you have the latest Adroid Update? Soft Reset?

0 Likes
JongAmPark
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have moto-x 1st gen with latest update from Verizon. It has nothing to do with advanced option. This is signal issue.

0 Likes
JongAmPark
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried reset recently and even had sim card replaced a while ago.

And this signal issue has been like how it's now for more than 1 year. I know spots where it catches sufficient signal, which is very restricted. So, it's nothing about reset, sim, etc.

Its signal strength issue. Please look at the opensignal.com web site and see that there are many signal holes( weak very weak, no signal) in this area. I even linked the site!

I expect Verizon Support personnel respond to my question. I know that they leave reply here.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
JongAmPark,

We want to keep you as a customer, and address your concerns with service. I see solid 4G service in the area. However, you provided great information. You stated the first screenshot and service issues are at home, is this primarily indoors? How far away from home and buildings does service improve? All smartphones need to have a data and voice plan, but we will work with you to resolve this so you can enjoy your service. What's your current plan? How many lines?

AdaS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JongAmPark
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes. the 1st one is from my home ( [removed] 94608). To get signal sufficiently, I have to move to nearby locations like  :

[removed] 94609

or

[removed] 94608

But even at the Verizon Wireless shop, it was not stable. Once it gets signal, it gets, but if not, it didn't.

In the area where my home is, except for a few lucky days, I can't get signal mostly. So, it's not only in my unit, but also the whole apartment complex, I believe.

My current plan is :

AMERICA'S CHOICE 450
    450 mins left for voice
Data : 1.808 GB out of 2GB is used.

There is only one phone using this service, which is a Moto-X 1st generation with the latest Android update from Verizon.

When I moved in this area in Oct. 2013, I used iPhone 4 until sometime in 2014. The signal reception was comparably worse than how it was in Los Angeles. However, somehow iPhone looks to get signal a little better than this Moto-X 1st gen Android phone. When I compared signal with other iPhone users ( i.e. my colleagues at work ), theirs were a little better. ( The company I work for is moved from where very near place to I live - 8 min. by walk approx. to near Berkeley, about a month ago. )

At first I thought this could be the phone issue. I know that some phones get weaker signal, probably due to their H/W design/ chipsets they use or their inner antennas. Surely it looks to be so, because my old iPhone 4 also received weaker signal than how it was in Los Angeles, as I said above. But, still signal strength is too weak anyway.
Even with my old iPhone 4, I couldn't barely hear.

Thank you.

Personal Information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those details help a lot JongAmPark,I looked into both areas, they look great as far as coverage goes. I see you included personal information which is rremoved to protect your account, so I am not sure what you included there.

You have confirmed there have been changes in locations and specifically indoors. This is extremely important as sevice is not guaranteed indoors. In addition, you mention you have data but no voice, that's odd. They both need our network. Can you clarify what you mean by reception specifically? Are you able to use the phone's voice and data atll in the locations mentioned?

What locations are able to provide you with service?

AdaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JongAmPark
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your reply. But you misunderstood partially.

At home, yes, it's indoor. But also I walked in the apartment complex. Also the Bay Street Emery-go-around station is clearly outdoor. Also the location in front of the B&N is also outdoor. The location near Safeway Emeryville is also outdoor.

So, you can generally think them as indoor + outdoor.
Also, because voice is not available, I couldn't use the phone's voice in the locations although I could use data. (on the screenshots above though, I turned off mobile data network, because my usage reached almost the maximum).

Also, it's not me who deleted the personal information. I typed, but after submitted they were deleted as such.is the

Reception signal reception quality.\. Also, it causally means "Voice : Out of service" due to signal strength is too weak.

0 Likes
JongAmPark
Enthusiast - Level 3

Those removed personal information is my home address.

0 Likes