Re: Unlock for iPhone 5
mars315
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, I had my daughter, with the iPhone 4S call Verizon and ask to have her phone unlocked.  The rep ended up having to call me for verification, and she seemed very nice.  However, when my daughter called me back she said that the rep was sending her a "Verizon Sim Card" for international use.  She said that the rep told her all the rates, which just seemed like the regular high rates that I read for myself on the page that showed the rates for Cayman Islands, which is where we are going.  For instance, $25/10 MB of data!!!  My daughter, a sweet, maybe too sweet college student, said she definitely asked for her phone to be "unlocked."  But I did the "trip builder" thing on Verizon and put in both iPhone 5 and 4S and they both said that they could be used in Grand Cayman.  Why would we need an international Sim Card?  How can I tell whether they actually unlocked her phone or not?  Do I need to call back tomorrow and talk to someone myself?  Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

If you plan to use the phones outside the area covered by your regular service plan, then you would need either a local SIM card from that country or you would need to add Global Services from Verizon as indicated in the Trip Planner which start at $25 for 100 MB with the price per minute as indicated.

Did you read the unlocking steps in the link posted?

0 Likes
mars315
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I read the steps, thank you.  Since I was asking about unlocking, I "assumed" that would mean that I wanted to put a local Sim Card into the phone.  So, I guess I have no way of knowing whather the rep unlocked my daughter's phone or not until we get there, becasue I am not going to have a foreign sim card until then???

0 Likes
mars315
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK!!  SUCCESS!!!  I actually called the 800 number in the post that you directed me to (which I promise you I HAD read last night) and I spoke to someone personally.  Now I totally have confidence that 1. the phone was NOT unlocked last night, and 2. the phone IS unlocked now. I think my daughter may have been transferred to the wrong area, or else got someone who did not know much.  Thank you very much for your information, your time, and your help.

Let me also say, again, that I went into Verizon yesterday and the Rep acted like I was either crazy or asking for something illegal.  He kept saying that that was not something they had EVER done (Unlocking a 4S) and he flat out DENIED that iPhone 5 CAME unlocked.  "That is not true, unless there has been a recent change."  I just got up and walked out (after mumbling a thank you).  So that is very frustrating that the sales reps are either lying on purpose, or totally mis-informed.

But, again, THANK YOU!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mars315,

I understand it's important for her to have the phone ready for international use. Our Global Department can definitely assist you with this process, so she can use her phone abroad; please contact them http://vz.to/17KseUf to ensure it has been unlocked for travel. 

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@mars315,

Thanks for keeping us posted! I'm glad you were able to get your phone unlocked. I apologize for the bad experience at the store. Verizon Wireless has a strong customer commitment to delivering the best from our service and staff. I am disappointed to hear the service you received did not reflect this commitment.

Please be assured we will continue providing ongoing training to all of our employees. We hope we can restore your confidence in Verizon Wireless and prove we are worthy of your continued business.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
fredr777

Do all verizon iphone 5 come unlocked to use on domestic carriers?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Fredr777, that is a very good question! As with our phones, per our device unlock policy:  http://vz.to/1k1KSzk

-We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service, either during or after the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement.

-We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.

So all iPhone 5’s are unlocked for use.

-TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
fredr777

So if i buys any iphone 5, 5c, or 5s i can just slip a tmobile sim card in and it will work?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yes. Keep in mind that the T-mobile LTE bands are not on the Verizon version of the iPhone 5. You will get 3G and 4G HSPA+,however you will probably not get LTE. This is a technical issue with the phone not having the capability to receive certain LTE bands and not a software locking issue. This is not an issue with the 5C and 5S.

0 Likes