Why is data service so bad on the Long Island Railroad Ronkonkama line?
ls15

This is especially true for a couple of miles before and after the Hicksville station? Phone becomes practically unusable and I am not even streaming video, just trying to read the news. Particularly ironic, since I can see hundreds of FIOS vans in a parking lot by the station. I hope they dont have to rely on 4G data service.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is data service so bad on the Long Island Railroad Ronkonkama line?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Is15,

I am sorry to hear of the service issues. Service on trains can be challenging as they can travel through a variety of coverage areas. What exact zipcodes are you you in when you experience issues? Have you always had issues traveling through this area? Do you know of others with VZW service that experience this same issue on the span of the train ride?
LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
ls15

It is all along the line really, but the worst spot is in zip code 11801.

I have had the issue for a long time, with multiple different phones. Basically when I get into that area I know to just give up on reading and just start playing solitaire.

Others on the train that have VZW service have the same issue. Those with AT&T and T-Mobile do not (I sometimes ask people what provider they use when I see them browsing in that area). I also used to have a blackberry from work that was on AT&T and it did not have the same issues.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We always want you to have the best with us ls15! I do apologize you are having this issue. It is really challenging to report a problem when on the move and inside the train. Do you experience these same issues before traveling and after? What make/model phone do you currently have?
JorgeO_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
ls15

The moving train is not the issue. Even when we are at a complete standstill in that area the service is dead. The specific location of the train station is Newbridge Road (Route 106) and West Barclay Street. Hicksville, NY 11801. The poor service area is essentially two miles west and two miles east of that point, whether stopped or moving. for example, when I am in that zone, I might click on a link to read an article and the page wont load. If I leave the page open, it will eventually load once we are out of that area. I think I would be ok with slow service (though not ideal), but this is NO service, so it is very frustrating.

Another location where the service is poor is by 117 Urban Ave Westbury, NY 11590.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S5, but, as mentioned, this has been the same with my past couple of phones as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Is15, thank you so much for those details. Service while inside of a train can be tricky due to the material that the train is made from. The area you have provided looks like it would have great 4G LTE Coverage. How are services while you are not in the train? Are you able to connect to the internet without any issues?

KevinR_VZW
0 Likes
ls15

Ok, no offense, but it doesn't look like I am going to get any kind of solution, so I will just drop it after this.

If the material the train is made out of is the problem, then wouldn't users of other providers have the same issue? Or do AT&T and T-Mobile have a super train penetrating signal? I already mentioned that plenty of other people are browsing on the same train that I am and that those people have other services, but people with Verizon were not getting service. so, I don't think it is the material the train is made out of or the fact that the train is moving, or the phone (I have tried multiple phones). Service is fine other than the couple of dead areas I mentioned. I can browse on the moving train made out of the same material other than in those areas.

At this point I think I would be happier if someone just said that service there sucks and there is nothing we can do about it than trying to blame a bunch of other things

0 Likes