Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
Llisa89
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow. This is happening to me . I'm having a major issue since upgrading my phone. All of a sudden I've used 96% of my data. I'm on my home wifi on my phone 95% of the time ( I work from home and am home at night) and if I loose connection I have it set that i get an alarm telling me that I lost connection and do I want to use cellular data in which a select no and just continue with out using wifi and get off my phone    In two years I  have never gone over 2GB and was over paying my on a 6Gb plan. I finally lower my data plan since I was over paying and all of a sudden after upgrading my phone I'm using tons of data? I don't used phone any differently than when I had my apple 4s. All I did was to from an iPhone 4s to a 6!!!  I don't use my phone any differently than before!! This is fraud and I'm going to contact the BBB if I don't get resolution. Something is not right and I'm being cheated out of my data please help.

mama23dogs
Legend

The problem is well known and is a phone problem, not a carrier problem.

read the entire thread for tips on restricting your phone to wifi And testing to see if it uses wifi at all.

Solutions include restoring your phone to factory and set up as new.

SInce your phone is within warranty, I would seek a replacement from Apple.

toga1530
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is a scam. I never used to have these issues with Verizon. They're trying everything in the book to cause data usage.  I have fought with them for 1 year on various data issues. And proved them wrong.  At one point they hit me with 8 gig of usage in 4 days of my billing cycle.  17,000 pages of data. They could prove nothing so they deleted the whole thing.  This was at the same time they had Data issues with Netflix.

Any more problems with data usage and I walk the contract. It does not hit your credit report hard, more like a medical bill. Creditors over look them. Especially other carriers

0 Likes
mlindholm

I'm having the exact same issue I can't get the 4G icon at the top of my phone to gray out when I'm on wifi unless I turn my mobile data off (then it grays out w/a slash thru it). Now I'm accruing mobile data usage even tho I usually use wifi - I'm almost always at home, so I suspect it's using mobile data at those times. I try to remember to turn it off, but that's not acceptable solution anyway.

I have a new s5, which I also cannot get to sync up and transfer data from my old phone, which was a galaxy note 2. The Verizon guy imported my contacts, most of which transferred, but random ones are gone. The tapping phones togethet thing does absolutely nothing & I'm having to reenter my whole calendar, reinstall apps, etc...and it won't dock my memory card. I haven't had time to back in to Verizon, so I've just been living with all this. Can you help? Assuming so, TIA.

~mlindholm

0 Likes
jdavis1029

I have been in contact via phone several times now regarding this issue and gotten no where. The phone techs do not seem to understand how data works. I have been told wifi isn't used when the phone sleeps (Which is incorrect, after looking at the setting in the phone that show differently). I have also disabled ALL background data on my apps and yet the data keeps being used in very small kilobytes when on wifi. Now, I have also been told the usage is tracked under 'Data Usage' under settings. This doesn't add up either. What my apps are showing from the day is not in line with what verizon is showing usage for. I have personally tested this and found that the times I use my data (not on wifi) reflect accurately on myverizon.com data usage.

At this point I am at the conclusion this a hard coded OS/bloatware app this I have no control over unless I turn off mobile data completely, which is just not feasible to have to remember to turn on to get a photo text msg and remember to turn back off when I arrive home. 

I understand is only very small kilobytes but those are adding up to megabytes. I do not feel this should be reflected as usage if I have no control of it being used.

I would be very open to professional technical suggestions at this point.

ps. this is also happening on wife's smartphone as well.

0 Likes
Juliemwills
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the exact same issue and Verizon is refusing to help. First of all, I was with Verizon from my very first phone at age 18 until age 26, 8 years. I switched employers and my discount reduced dramatically, my grandfathered plan had unlimited data and of course VZ wants to get rid of those customers so they jacked my bill up. I could not afford it so I switched to a shared plan with my sister on Sprint. In the year and a half I was with them, I used an average of 1.5-1.9GB per month. One month I used 2.06GB but that was only one month. My last month with sprint I traveled 10 hours to Florida and back, 5 hours to Kentucky and back, both of which trips I used my Google Maps GPS. On top of that, for all 10 days of those travel days, I did not connect to wifi at all. The most data I ever used was again less than 2GB. I used snapchat, instagram constantly, literally taking video after video of the drive on the way to and from Florida on snapchat. I also had Google drive backing up my photos via both wifi and 3G/4G. I even used my FitRadio app and turned wifi off when at the gym for an hour a day every day because it connected better than the wifi. I never once had to think about whether I was connected to wifi or not, when to turn my data off, if I was running over, anything like that with Sprint. I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone at the time.

I switched to Verizon on Tuesday May 12th, I received my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone in the afternoon and turned it on for the first time around 3pm. I signed up for a 3GB plan knowing that should be well over what I need. On Friday I drove to the beach (4hours) but didn't even use my GPS. I connected to the beachouse wifi the entire time once there. On Sunday morning I got a notification that I had used 75% of my data already! I had to use my GPS to get back home and therefore felt worried about going over and added the $10 extra 1GB to make sure I could get home ok. I then went through all of the apps and put them on minimum data usage, turned Google drive photo backup, and app updates to only run when connected to wifi,and turned my data completely off at all times, unless I had an emergency need to use data when not at home, work, or the gym (all of which have wifi, keep in mind besides my car, these are literally where I am located at all times and connected to wifi). Since Sunday (we are now here on Friday), my phone shows another entire gig has been used! So I am over 3GB of data used right now, paid $10 extra to get me to 4GB and I am not even a full two weeks into service with Verizon.

I called Verizon customer service this morning to explain all of this. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them that I should be at work but have no choice.

Their only options for me are as follows:

1. turn data off completely when connected to wifi because the phone will default tot he faster connection and therefore use data instead of wifi sometimes. 2. use the data calculator on their website 3. the phone is newer and therefore uses more data 4.sprint doesn't have good service so that is why it uses less data 5. they will give me 500GB of data for free for 1 year (this is not much if my data is going to be tripled from what it was and I am going to have to pay almost $200 for enough data 6. switch back to Sprint.

O and I was told when I agreed to sign up, that I had 30 days to change my mind and send back the phone for a $35 restocking fee. Today I am told it is really only 14 days and because Monday is a holiday and would normally be my 14th day, I would need to ship the phone out tomorrow in order to be able to cancel and only pay the $35 restocking fee. They are supposed to be calling me back to confirm why I was told 30 days but haven't yet.

I absolutely call BS on Verizon. How is it that I can use 30 hours of GPS, ten full day with no wifi, stream music for about an hour a day every day without wifi, use snapchat and instragram constantly and still come nowhere near 3GB, while using my phone 1 week with data on but almost all day connected to wifi (besides in the car), 1 week with data turned off completely, used music and everything else on wifi, and one 4 hour drive of GPS and I am already over 3GB in less than 2 weeks.

Their explanation and options given to me are not sufficient. Verizon please come up with a better explanation and stop treating customers as if they don't matter. I understand that you have great coverage, but that does not give you the right to charge exorbitant amounts of money and claim triple the data that other carriers used. There is something inherently wrong with this. Consumers do have rights, and you are violating them.

I am sure you dealt with very similar issues regarding call minutes, text messages etc in the past when they were charged individually rather than just unlimited. Why didn't you learn that the consumers are happiest when they can use their device as needed without worrying about how much time they spent on it? We all look forward to the day that data is truly unlimited. How is it that the cable/phone companies do not have to charge by usage to home consumers, but mobile consumers do have to be charged that way. We need change and we need it now.

I fully expect a better response than what I have received so far Verizon...

Waiting on you, and remember I only have until tomorrow to ship my phone back and accept that Verizon is just not for me.

-Julie

mama23dogs
Legend

While there may be another problem causing high data reporting or use ( BTW if your phone is recording much less data, you have proof it is Verizon's reporting that is faulty - check in settings )

the "however" is, you may have upgraded to a 4G LTE phone with a network that actually has coverage, which Sprint does not.  a 4G phone uses about 2.5 times as much data as a 3 G phone doing the same tasks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We never want you to feel like your time is wasted. We understand your concern about applications that you're not using taking up data usage. You did mention these apps have been disabled and that you notice usage when connected to wifi. If the device is connected to wifi then it is not using your mobile data unless the wifi connection times out. With the advanced devices, there will always be data usage in small amounts because your smartphone is like a mini computer. In order to prevent any data from being used at all, you would need to do what you mentioned above and turn off mobile data.
SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
Tidbits
Legend

That's not much proof even if one shows less than the other

For example I used Facebook and it doesn't show up on my usage meter. The only time it does is when I turn on its internal browser. If I use a different data tool it will show Facebook but for some reason it will miss some applications(like Rhapsody). So what I do is take what is missing and add it. Generally fo r me it comes out to within 5mb of what Verizon shows.

pj635
Enthusiast - Level 1

It appears I am accruing data usage when I am securely attached to my home, office and other wifi locations - confirmed, because I checked the settings and made certain I was connected.  I made certain I was connected to the other wifi services before I went out on the internet.  

However, I have been notified by Verizon that I am in danger of going over my data usage for the month. Checking the data usage chart - time/dates of usage and they are all times I was connected to wifi!  

Any suggestions Verizon?  It appears you have several other clients experiencing a similar issue - Please advise how to correct AND credit my account!!!!!

0 Likes