Why is my battery draining so fast?
Rdicorte
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Samsung S5 lollipop battery is draining too fast all of a sudden.  I've had it a little over a year.  I love my android phones but everyone of them do this after a year or so. Is the iphone going to be different with that problem.  I may have to reluctantly go with that.  Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: battery draining too fast
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Did you recently do the OS Update on your phone?  If so terrible battery life is expected for a short while as the phone optimizes the apps and stuff on the phone for the OS, and while the OS learns your usage patterns.

If not then it could definitely be the battery itself.  It could also be an App issue where one of your apps is not working correctly with your phone.  This you can check by running the phone is Safe mode for a while.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
caecilia97
Contributor - Level 1

The batteries are only good for somewhere between 10-14 months, depending on charge and discharge cycles. If it isn't that old, or the change just occurred recently with no new apps or accounts added, you can try going to your wifi settings --> advanced --> and disable the "always allow scanning" and "keep wifi on during sleep". This should help a ton.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Did you recently do the OS Update on your phone?  If so terrible battery life is expected for a short while as the phone optimizes the apps and stuff on the phone for the OS, and while the OS learns your usage patterns.

If not then it could definitely be the battery itself.  It could also be an App issue where one of your apps is not working correctly with your phone.  This you can check by running the phone is Safe mode for a while.

0 Likes
DannyR1978
Enthusiast - Level 2

How is the OS supposed to learn your usage patterns if you're phone is so slow that it's hardly useable?

KD4PBA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just moved to an S6 today.  What I got is totally unacceptable.  My LG G2 runs circles around this phone. There are HUGE problems with battery life. Yes I have restarted the phone. Yes I have optimized it, turned services off and configured the battery saving features. It charges quickly but after only 1 phone call and 3 hours of use its down to 20%. 3 HOURS.  My LG G2 charged pretty fast and I can leave EVERYTHING on and charge it maybe once every 2 days or so. I edged up to the S6 due to the features.  Well they are useless. I can't use the phone if its draining that fast.  I realize there are issues with 5.x and Samsung has made a statement about this and a possible in house updates. I'm sorry but your phone is not going to "learn behavior" Its a defect pure and simple. Be it in the OS or the phone it does not matter, Hardware or Software or both. As for those looking at an S6 from Verizon right now, Don't. Its a lemon. They can have it back. Having to charge multiple times a day and TURN off WIFI are you joking?  So why not just turn the entire phone off when not in use?  I never had to do this with any phone I have had previously.  The LG G2 is still running KIT KAT so that is probably part of the difference. I am not wasting another day with this and I am not waiting on an update. I can't even leave the house without having to plug this phone in to charge. in the car.  This is pretty sad. 

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

If the phone is running real slow and lagging that is a different issue all together and I would first look at Apps on the phone (even pre installed apps) and definitely run it in safe mode first. Running it in safe mode will load only what is necessary to run the phone. If it speeds up then it is one of the apps on the phone, if it does not speed up then it is a memory hanging issue.  For #1 you would need to find which app is slowing it down and not install it or disable it. For #2 I would go to an FDR on it as a cache wipe will not do the trick, but it can never hurt to do the cache wipe first.  you can also change the platform on the phone to ART which tends to use memory a little bit better then Delvic.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
caecilia97, thanks for helping us support our customers with information regarding how to extend the battery life on their devices. For more tips on how to stretch your battery life, click http://vz.to/1PpvhDs

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes