Re: Droid has WiFi--do I need data plan?
VERIZONLVR
Enthusiast - Level 3

woyala wrote:

What are you smoking? lol pay as you go data on smartphones??? that option was removed years ago.

You're correct. There is no pay-a-you-go option for smartphones. The option is still available for non-smartphones.

Acutally, there isn't any option with smartphones. If you want a Droid, you must have the data plan.

0 Likes
xOriginalNinjax
Contributor - Level 1
This is correct, no pay as you go for new PDA's, and the older PDA's that have pay as you go are priced at $.015/kb for data, not the $1.99/mb...which is so much fun at $15.36/mb...also known as any usage you might as well have gotten a data package.
0 Likes
Pusta

VERIZONLVR wrote:

billabongopblue wrote:

actually you can.... but you pay the 1.99 per meg. And you can buy one without it, i just went through this today. Although i wanted to know what exactly you get charged for and how its used so that i could figure out if i could avoid paying for the data plan.

Basically i want what i have on my standard phone now, although i want the wifi. 

According to theVerizon rep I spoke to, you can't use the phone and WiFi at the same time (a la the new AT&T TV adds). Keep your current phone.

Not true at all.  While you're on a call, Wifi is the only way for the data services to work.  When I am on a call and connected via wifi, I can still sync email and browse the web

0 Likes
ivorycruncher
Contributor - Level 1

Pusta wrote:

Not true at all.  While you're on a call, Wifi is the only way for the data services to work.  When I am on a call and connected via wifi, I can still sync email and browse the web

You make a good point.  Not being able to use data while on a call is a limitation of the CDMA network, not the phone.  If you have an alternate data source, like WiFi, you should be able to access the internet while on a call, because when WiFi is active, all data is routed over that connection, not the cellular network.  This makes Apple/AT&T's argument to that effect look a bit like swiss cheese.  It's funny how Apple's commercials on this subject end with "can your phone and your network do that?"  Well, my network can't, but my phone sure can!

0 Likes
Pusta

As a former ATT customer, they also fail to mention you need 3G to use phone and data at same time.  This will not work over their Edge network.  Also, my problem with the iPhone is you can ONLY use the phone and 1 other application at the same time.  If I wanted to stream Pandora and browse the web...no such luck

0 Likes