Does Google Voice = Free unlimited text messages? Help a newbie understand please...
daretoomnia
Contributor - Level 1

I have one phone - my Droid. I have looked around on this forum about Google Voice, and see where people are saying you can get unlimited free text messages that way (where it doesn't count toward whatever text message plan you are paying for - in my case, I am paying for 250 text messages/month on my plan).

I went to the actual Google Voice website, and it only mentions the free text messages on the section about getting a new Google Voice number....am I understanding correctly that I can not use Google Voice to get unlimited free text messages, since I only have my Droid (no home phone, etc)???

I would L-O-V-E to have unlimited text messaging for free....sooooo, can someone help me understand if I can or can not do that with Google Voice?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Does Google Voice = Free unlimited text messages? Help a newbie understand please...
Laytimator

Disclaimer:  I don't have a Droid yet. 

I've read where Google Talk is the same thing as instant messaging so you can converse with others that have downloaded Google Talk as well.  So yes, this would be the same as free text messaging, but you would not be able to send pictures that way.  I'd opt for email in that case as a workaround.  Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: Does Google Voice = Free unlimited text messages? Help a newbie understand please...
Mekishiko

Google Talk IS NOT GOOGLE VOICE

Google talk is just instant messaging.

The OP is asking about SMS via Google Voice.

THe general consensus is YES if you use the Google Voice App to send/receive SMS exclusively you will have unlimited txt messages.

This is dependant on how you have your Google voice & Verizon account set up though.

I would recommend under google voice settings on your computer to make sure the check box to COPY SMS TO THIS DEVICE is unchecked, in addition to calling up verizon and asking to block all SMS TXT messages. After you do all of that you should be able to strictly use Google Voice and not have it reflected on your Verizon service at all.

0 Likes