Note 3 System Memory is 6.73GB
testerrants
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was checking my note for storage utilization as  i am running low on space. I looked under Settings->Storage->Miscellaneous files , I see System memory is using 6.73 GB. This seems like a lot of space being eaten up by something unknown. Does anyone know how to clean it up and reclaim the space on Note 3. I have kitkat 4.4.4.

Also anyone else seeing the same issue ?

0 Likes
Re: Note 3 System Memory is 6.73GB
Snn5
Legend

My recovery partition on my G2 is near 8GB.  My phone is a 32GB version.  That large Misc area is usually the system partition.  Consider it is the operating system with all Samsung and Verizon apps that you cannot uninstall.

0 Likes
testerrants
Enthusiast - Level 3

#snn5 thanks for the reply. Is there any way to reduce size of this partition. The reason i am asking is the device already has 4.5 GB of apps and 6.7 gb of system memory, seems a little too much.

Also can you explain what do you mean by recovery partition.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You cannot reduce the size of the protected area.  Are you sure you have 4.5GB of apps?  None of that is media?  Recovery partition is the area where the protected and non-accessible system files are. That area is also where apps are stored.   Think of it like a hard drive on a computer that runs Windows and has the Recovery drive.  It's all one hard drive, but the recovery area is separated from the rest on another area of the same hard drive.  Same here on the phone's flash-based drive.  You have the system and then the "hard drive" area.  Take a 16GB phone for example:  Usually 8GB was reserved for system.  That 8GB was divided in half.  4GB for OS and 4GB for apps.  That total of 8GB space was not changeable.  The other 8GB was a chunk just for everything else like documents, music, video, etc...

0 Likes