Re: S3 won't charge after Kit Kat update
stef7
Master - Level 2

Hope something here helps:

Have you tried charging using a USB port on a computer with an official Samsung cable? If it was a software problem - I would think someone may have programed the phone to inhibit rapid charging if the battery was too depleted. To test that theory - charging it to say 20% via USB computer port, then switching over to the adapter may work for you.

But... that assumes there is nothing wrong with the charging port on the phone (which I suspect is probably the case). I don't think usb charging port replacement on an S3 is a DIY type project. I think you may find a YouTube video on it, but that's not realistic for most people.

I propose a less expensive option: get a Qi-wireless charging back for the phone, and a Qi-wireless charging pad.

USB port repair outside warranty might be 100US give or take. I'm just guessing. Going the Qi route should be MUCH cheaper.

One last thing: *IF* you purchased your phone with a credit card, perhaps you are not aware of this - certain cards extend Manufacturer Warranties by a year. Maybe you could send it off to be repaired, and use someone's old phone in the interim.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Bluehaze43

OK, here are some things that I can tell you, in addition to my above posting.

Yes I have tried to use a computer USB port and gotten the same results.  I believe that there is nothing wrong with the port on my phone (my batteries, or my chargers) as when it finally "decides" to charge, I can actually handle the phone and move it without consequence.

What I have found, and will keep trying to see if the results are consistent is this;

The battery (phone) will not charge at all using any charger if the phone has been successfully charged (from any charger) up to 100% from dead zero.  If I try to charge it at any other time (or percentage of battery other than zero), I can only get the charger to work intermittently.  If I leave the charger attached over night, with the battery at anything less than zero percent (typically I would have attached my phone to the charger when the battery had gotten down to 5%), it will in fact run my phone down to zero (whether the phone is turned on or off I get the same results) rather than charge it - although it will show the red notification light in the upper left corner letting me know it thinks it is charging.  In the morning, after removing the battery for about 2 minutes or so, and reinstalling the battery;  the phone will accept any charger, and begin to take a charge (obviously while it is turned off, as it was dead).  I get the same result with either battery (both Samsung factory batteries) I use, and any charger I use (all factory Samsung chargers).

The problem is not seeming like it is the phone, the charger, or the battery; but rather something to do with software not allowing the phone to properly charge at random points of discharge, but only when it is at zero percent (fully dead battery).  This was never a problem until late summer of 2014, and had been progressively getting worse until I recently came upon the zero percent theory.  I will continue to test this and see what happens over the next several days, and report back my findings.

Some (or any) input from Verizon, Google, or Samsung would be amazing - but I won't hold my breath.  They all have my money already, and would rather see me buy a new phone than fix the issues with my existing one.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

First off, have you tried slow charging via USB on a computer port first to get to 20% or so, then using your charger? I'm not sure you covered that scenario in your reply.

From your description, it does sound like it's somehow SW related.

Have you checked to see if there are any more pending updates for your device?

OK, since downloading and installing the update, have you ever performed a Factory Data Reset? If you wanted to try that... of course, you'd have to backup your critical stuff first of course then go through the hassle of setting up your device again.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did any of you guys try...

1.  Turn it off take out the battery.

2.  Hold down power for 10 seconds.

3.  Let it sit for an hour

4.  Put the battery back in

5.  Charge it(while off) for a few minutes to ensure it's charging.

6.  Turn it on and see if it still charges.

Justha4ofus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I, too, now have a brick for a "phone", rather than my S3 that I knew and loved...

Over the summer, I was able to put off the update for almost a month (as I never wanted to disable my phone for long enough to run the update) before the fateful night I missed out on delaying it and it went ahead and installed.

I've been through the wringer with Verizon, and I am also in contract through 5/31/15... I do prefer Verizon as a carrier, and was looking forward to the most current Samsung Galaxy model, however I feel the need to move to something different now due to all of the problems and the non acknowledgement of "issues" from this KitKat update.

The canned answers from Verizon support staff are frustrating and disappointing, to say the least.  Almost offensive!  I also asked to go back to jellybean.  Got the big fat "no".

After being on the phone for 45 minutes, it finally took a level 3 tech support from Verizon to admit, "yeah, the KitKat update wasn't intended for the S3 models, it was written for S4 and S5s".  Yet no relief offered for the S3 holders.

It's truly upsetting...

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Try reporting to the BBB.

0 Likes