Droid: How do I insert a pause in the dialing ?
leotx

I need to insert a pause in the dialing sequence of a contact number to allow time for the other end to expect it?

I tried using "p" but it was turned into a "0" zero.  I tried using a comma, but that really did strange things when I tried it.  I also tried a # but that resulted in a call cannot be completed.

I want to enter a string like this 123-456-7890p321-654-0987#T1111# where the first number is to be dialed, then when prompted, the second number, then after a short delay, the third number.  The string I show is exactly what my previous phone used and it worked perfectly; to end the pause, I just pressed the OK button.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid: How do I insert a pause in the dialing ?
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

here's how you do it. it works because i use it for my voicemail so i dont have to reenter my password.

1. go to contacts list

2. choose the contact you want to change (press and hold)

3. select edit contact

4. tap the box that contains the # you want to edit. a numerical number pad should appear

4. make sure the curser is at the end of the number

2. select the button "*#(" located in the lower left hand side of the numeric pad

5. you will see that there is a button marked "pause". select this and a comma will appear after the number (place however many pauses you want, every pause is 2 seconds of course)

8. enter the password then followed by the # button.

9. click "done" and then you are done

when you make the call you will hear a series of quick beeps after a while, dont worry that is just your phone dialing the password.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

here's how you do it. it works because i use it for my voicemail so i dont have to reenter my password.

1. go to contacts list

2. choose the contact you want to change (press and hold)

3. select edit contact

4. tap the box that contains the # you want to edit. a numerical number pad should appear

4. make sure the curser is at the end of the number

2. select the button "*#(" located in the lower left hand side of the numeric pad

5. you will see that there is a button marked "pause". select this and a comma will appear after the number (place however many pauses you want, every pause is 2 seconds of course)

8. enter the password then followed by the # button.

9. click "done" and then you are done

when you make the call you will hear a series of quick beeps after a while, dont worry that is just your phone dialing the password.

0 Likes
leotx

This worked.  I was using the slide out keyboard, and these options are not on it.  Your solution puzzled me until I realized that you were referencing the onscreen keyboard rather than the physical one. 

I used a "wait" and a couple of "pauses" with success.

Thanks

0 Likes
Dave170

To program a speed dial to your work or home voicemail on the android, add the item as a contact in gmail (example “Cox VM”).

Then program the required dialing string in the phone number section of the contact: Pause is a comma, Wait is a Semi-colon. Be sure to insert a wait between the phone number of the voicemail system and the string you need to deliver to the system to retrieve the messages. You will get a prompt button in that point of the call, and when the system connects, you will then push the prompt to deliver the remaining characters.

After programmed in gmail, save.

Then, touch and hold the home screen where you want to add the speed dial and a menu will come up, select “direct dial”, then select the item from your contacts list, Done. Works great.

0 Likes
jbcape

I've been trying to insert the WAIT character using these instructions, and the WAIT button does nothing. Any ideas? Do I have to program all these numbers in my Gmail contacts and sync them over?

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

jbcape wrote:

I've been trying to insert the WAIT character using these instructions, and the WAIT button does nothing. Any ideas? Do I have to program all these numbers in my Gmail contacts and sync them over?

are u using the slide out keyboard to do this? if so, dont. use the virtual keyboard and make sure you press the button labelled "wait"

0 Likes
jbcape

Strangely enough, I was finally able to insert the required semicolon and make the wait work only by using the slide-out keyboard. When I tried to follow the "book" supplied by both Verizon and Motorola in their help pages, the WAIT button was non-responsive (which is what I said in my post above). But typing the semicolon in with the keyboard worked. Go figure.

It's been a challenge figuring things out. The documentation that comes with the phone is totally inadequate and if it were not for the Web and Google searches I would have ditched this the day after I got it. Thankfully, I like figuring things out and have a stubborn streak.

0 Likes
Re: Droid: How do I insert a pause in the dialing ? - NOT from the phone book???
SwezeyDroid

From the phone book ,setting up a pause or wait is relatively straightforward and I don't need help with that.

Here is what I'd like to know......I send out emails to invite people to conference calls all the time.  I also receive emails inviting me to a conference calls all the time.   Many of my compatriots use a Blackberry and what works great with that device does not work with a Droid - NOR - does there seem to be a similar function.

• For simplicity - being that all of us are on the road all the time, for conference calls we could send out the email invite with the conference line phone number and password in the body of the email or sometimes in the header (we use outlook but the email service is irrelevent) and anyone that had a Blackberry could simply click the number and it would autodial the entire string.  It was directly from the email NOT from a phone book.
  • Example.  The conference line dial in number was (123) 555-1212 and the PIN was 123456#.  I could put in the email header OR the body the following 1234441515X1234356#  and any Blackberry user could just click on it and it would dial the whole string and everyone could join the call easily without having to key in a single digit.  The X was the pause.  The second # was treated like the # key
  •      With a Droid that function apparently does not exist - OR - I simply have not been able to find it and I've been on dozens of forums looking for help.  We have more and more Droid users and we need a solution.
  • I hate having to write down the PIN codes and then key them in for every conference call I'm on.  It really stinks and I can't believe there isn't a simple code that the Droid remembers.
  • When I send an email with the conference phone number then a comma and then the PIN number, Example:  1235551212,123456#  That does not work.  It simply stops at the comma.  This would work from your phonebook but it does not work from a text section from an email or even from a SMS text.
  • Any ideas?
0 Likes
joyfuljosh

for my DROID X

I was trying to get rid of putting in my pin number every single time I got a voicemail and had to check it.

So I called “611” from my Verizon phone and made my way to some technical support.

He tells me you can’t take the pin out but he could help me make it automatic when dialed so I wouldn’t have to do it.

He said from your home screen hit “menu”, then hit “call settings”, then choose “voicemail settings” and a bar will show up that says *86.

He says right after the *86 press the “pause button” then your password/pin, the pound symbol then a 1.

I said okay but I don’t see the “pause” button.

That’s because I was using the “Swype” text input on my phone and that doesn’t have the “pause” button.

So he said on your home screen hit “menu”- On the bottom right, touch “settings”-Scroll to and select “language and keyboard”-Select “input method”-Then select the “multi touch keyboard”

So I did that and found the “pause” button in there.

The “pause” button looks like a comma but it’s not and if the numeric keys show up first, press the   *#(     key at the bottom-left.

There it is!

My voicemail number now looks like this but with a different pin of course-

*86,1234#1

0 Likes
Re: Droid: How do I insert a pause in the dialing ? - NOT from the phone book???
Xyrium
Enthusiast - Level 3

Swezey, did anyone ever resolve this one?

0 Likes