Re: Still NO Windows Phone 8.1 Update? FCC? Attorney General?
nemz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nothing you just said had any relevance to the conversation.  I was talking about customer complaints and how government agencies handle them. The FDA doesn't handle anything with pricing and drug approval is a bit more in-depth than firmware updates.  So you can go off on tangents and try to make it seem like I said something completely unrelated.  You obviously have no idea where you're going with that.  Show me anything more than a generic response from the FCC or Verizon and I'll eat my words.  They will not seek further action for something Verizon is not legally obligated to do. Go ahead and file your complaints but in the end when they haven't done anything for you, just know that you wasted everyone's time.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Still NO Windows Phone 8.1 Update? FCC? Attorney General?
Chipeast
Enthusiast - Level 2

You were comparing FDA regulation to FCC regulation. My statement was directly relevant to your argument. I broadened it to regulation of drugs vs. regulation of communication devices. Not hard to figure out.. and more relevant than bringing drug addicts into the conversation.

You obviously are having a hard time grasping what I am saying. You are right the FDA does not tell drug companies what they should charge, in most other countries they do. In other countries governments negotiate the prices charged for drugs. That is why we pay so much more in the US for the same drugs sold in Europe. The FDA is the most defunct regulatory body in the US and you use it as an example as to why the FCC would react the same way. Your argument is not relevant.

A quote from the mobile wireless competition report.

"4. Differentiation in Mobile Data Applications"

"To what extent has control over the types of applications that customers can access on their devices shifted from service providers to device makers and/or operating system developers during 2012 and 2013?"

My point is that the FCC DOES work with wireless companies to influence their policy to promote competition.

How the FDA regulates the drug industry has no relevance here.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Still NO Windows Phone 8.1 Update?  FCC?  Attorney General?
Tidbits
Legend

Oh Block C rule applying to an update?

Now what proof do you have that Verizon has the update and is purposely withholding the update? What proof do you have the update is even finished?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Has anyone ever heard of one of these people threatening to go to the AG or FCC or wherever and successfully getting what they wanted? I haven't not ONCE.

0 Likes
nemz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wasn't comparing regulation. I was comparing how they handle customer complaints and interact with business.  You'd know that if you knew context.  The same applies to the regulation you just stated.  It applies to applications that users can access with their devices.  Verizon can't block apps that reach the store or keep you from putting things on your phone that they don't like.  They can choose whether or not to distribute an update that has been put in their hands.  If Microsoft added the device specific update to the store, Verizon couldn't do anything about it other than threaten to void your warranty.  That regulation doesn't say anything about providing updates.  Verizon puts this in their service agreement for a reason.

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

mrhelper

Member since August 22nd.  Long time Windows Phone customer? 

I love new people.

Thanks for keeping the 8.1 Cyan Posts at the top of the list.  Your feedback is invaluable.  Please be sure to post up on the other threads out here pertaining to our lack of an update!

(This post has not had enough feedback...  The FCC and your 8.1 Cyan Update)

0 Likes
nemz
Enthusiast - Level 2

MadDogFL62,

I'm not trying to deviate from the subject, but in defense of mrhelper, just because someone just joined the forum doesn't mean they haven't been with WP for long.  I just joined 08/18 but I've been a fan of WP since I had an old Samsung Omnia with Windows 5 or w/e back when no one used WP at all.  I still remember it had way more capability than the original iPhone did (which was the biggest thing at the time).  I moved to a Droid X before moving back to WP8 because Verizon didn't offer any WP for several years other than the HTC Trophy.

0 Likes
Chipeast
Enthusiast - Level 2

nemz "I was comparing how they handle customer complaints and interact with business. "

Lol and this has nothing to do with regulation...

You need to stop posting on things you know nothing about. Apps can be blocked from the store from a specific carrier or device. I will give you specific examples. (Google Wallet, Optical reader, ChatOn etc.)

And on a final note, I guess you have not read any of the notes on what is in Cyan. The Cyan update includes applications.

"The Lumia Cyan update will also improve the already powerful Nokia Camera, Creative Studio and Storyteller apps. Nokia Camera gets a simplified user interface with one-tap access to edit and share pictures, and full-resolution zooming, re-framing and Creative Studio 6 (CS6) are available directly from the renewed Camera Roll."

The regulation I stated refers to control of all apps "from service providers to device makers and/or operating system developers."

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

@nemz

Most out here are trying to provide constructive feedback or ideas.  Others seem to only want to aggravate and antagonize. That is really not needed, but is allowed for some reason on these forums.  Tolerance = Permission  I am sure that our hosts are not too happy with our complaints and promotions to get the government involved with our delays and concerns.  Whatever.

For those who are new (ahem, like mrhelper ), this update delay has been happening to Windows Phone owners on Verizon for 3 years now.  Complaining does not and has not changed anything.  But there are options and alternatives.  Microsoft and others are willing to help.  The "trick" is getting the provider to listen to their customer and to consider such options and alternatives.  The good news is that it appears that the FCC is willing to be a part of our "bag of tricks".  The FCC has a process in place for filing complaints and escalating them if the consumer is not satisfied with the response.  I have been waiting over 6 weeks for my update.  Um, no, I am not satisfied.  Not much else has worked - so I plan to give this a try.  And the more support I can get, the better.  (www.fcc.gov/complaints)

FCC Consumer complaints have historically and recently forced the hand of the carriers (often Verizon) with the following issues:  unfair billing, bait and switch selling, telemarketing scams, data throttling, dead towers, use of unlocked phones with other carriers, refusing to move phone numbers to new phones, and more.  I am sure that all of those consumers who filed complaints about these issues were also told by others that "no one is going to listen".  That's funny!  The irony is that the FCC listened and got involved with every case and every complaint, even if it was just a letter to the carrier on behalf of the consumer.

Based on the email I have received from Verizon, the FCC has contacted them about my complaints.  The lack of 8.1 Cyan for my $500 ICON and their continued inability to deliver a timely update to my phone over a 3 year term of my Verizon subscription.  I am following the steps the FCC provided me over the phone (see the post below).  The FCC was so adamant that I follow the process that they even took the time to send it to me:  in writing and  in the mail.

The FCC and your 8.1 Cyan Update

Yes, it will require more work than just filling out a Web Form, but it will be worth it.  And let's be clear about a few things.  No one is looking to get Verizon in trouble (though uncomfortable is okay).  There are no laws or contracts that have been broken.  Verizon subscribing consumers are simply looking for improvements to an unacceptable practice that is uncommon with other Verizon consumers using other Verizon issued/supported devices.  Windows Phone updates and have been consistently delinquent for every release since Verizon has sold and "supported" the Windows Phone line.  Verizon is 6+ weeks behind on this release and there is another release expected in November.  What better time to test a new process?

0 Likes
sayvilleguy

If there is indeed a specific sequence of milestones that have to occur before Verizon can or will push an update to 8.1 (like Microsoft lab testing, then Verizon lab testing, then both have to submit results to the FCC lab teams) before the update can be pushed, why not just share that information (they don't have to share dates, just the sequence of events and where they are across that timeline).

Then at least we'd have some reasonable understanding of the events that have to happen and where they're are.

But this purposeful apathy or clandestine approach that Verizon is propagating via their silence is bizarre, truly bizarre.

Any reasonable product manager in any carrier knows its the best thing possible to simply share the full process involved with the end customers, and show where they're at. It takes all the pressure off the press, off the consumers, and off of Verizon, and it helps establish a more constructive mindset for us consumers.

Oh now for the others across this thread that insist that contracts and communications did not advertise that the Icon would be updated to 8.1, you need to check Verizon's web pages when you shop for phones. Every Icon web page shows it as ready for 8.1 when Verizon releases that update. So yes, I bought this phone solely because I expected it to receive 8.1. I am sure it will... but the silence from Verizon is deafening.

>> Discussion of moderation removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

MODERATOR NOTE:  The moderation team and the representatives are two distinct groups with different responsibilities regarding the Community.  The moderators simply ensure that posts are in compliance with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service and edit or remove those posts, or portions of posts, that are in violation.

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes