Re: No 4G after installing new Galaxy S5 update
burgler2112
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issues since the upgrade:

over the past week or so, my Galaxy S5 connection will go from 4G to 3G or even 1X and will not go back to 4G unless I reboot the phone or turn on Airplane mode, wait a few seconds, then turn airplane mode off.  Then I will have 4G again, but only for a period of time, and then it will revert back to 3G or 1X.  I never had this issue with my previous phone.  And when the connection changes I'm not traveling around in different coverage areas.  This happens in my home/work area (Zip 07738 and 07701), as well as when I'm out of town.

I'm also experiencing random reboots on my Galaxy S5.  There is no telling when it will occur, but I'll be using the phone and then all of a sudden it will simply reboot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh wow burgler2112. Im truly sorry to hear of your issues since the update. And I appreciate your efforts for troubleshooting. This certainly doesn't seem normal. Have you recently backed up your phone to where you can try a full reset? http://vz.to/1pI3Ifu Keep us posted if that works.

ErinW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
scottman1

I bought a new GS5 two days ago, it automatically did the update on the first night I had it and I have not had 4g since.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Scottman1,

That is not good at all! Lets get your phone functioning properly. Lets try this. Please power the phone off and remove the sim card. Let is sit out for about 30 seconds and reinsert it. Power the phone on again. Let me know if this works for you!.

StevenR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
scottman1

Thanks for following up. I did as you said, no change.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Scottman1,

Thank you for your efforts. Lets try a couple more things for you. Lets give this a try first. Ensure the device is powered off. Press and hold the volume up button and the home button. While continuing to hold the home and volume up buttons, press and hold the power button until recovery booting appears in the upper left. Release all buttons. Select the option to wipe the cache partition utilizing the volume up and down buttons to highlift and the power button to select. Select the option to reboot the system now. If that does not work lets give this a try. http://vz.to/R3J3of Please advise if this works.

0 Likes
scottman1

Thank you for your response. FYI I was on the phone with a technician for 45 minutes today going through a boot into safe mode, then factory reset with no luck. That person opened a repair ticket (or something like that) to which the service techs eventually replied that the 4g coverage in my area (downtown Baltimore, MD) was "marginal and weak" to which I say is total BS. After I got the text message saying that I called the customer support number to speak to someone and I have to say this time this person was the least effective. The others I have spoken to in the past were helpful and tried to assist. She just said to exchange the phone. (which I am going to do tomorrow to see if that is the issue). But I think the issue is more with the Verizon software than the phone itself. Will keep you posted . . . .

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If Caller Name ID was updated, I've found that app has been troublesome. If you do not pay for the service, open the App, and select the option to remove the app under the Account Settings. Make sure your account status is not active or subscribed before doing this! Once done, reboot the phone, open the Android App Manager in Settings, find Caller Name ID, force quit the app, clear all data, then disable/Turn off.

I've found that Caller Name ID has a few problems that relate to battery drain and LTE. In marginal LTE areas, when a phone falls back to 3G "eHRPD", the phone will refuse to switch back to LTE unless the mobile data is dormant for some time. This is due to the fact that eHRPD is in essence a hack to EVDO Rev.A to make the transition between a CDMA data network and a GSM Data network smoother, and it doesn't always work seamlessly. Caller Name ID seems to have a problem with keeping the radio active, even if not actively transferring anything, thus keeping the phone stuck to 3G. Second, when connected to Wi-FI Caller Name ID does not bind to the Wi-Fi interface either. Instead, the mobile data continues to stay connected as Caller Name ID is bound to that data source. This kills battery and keeps the phone stuck on 3G if it falls to 3G.

Considering Android is built upon Linux, some of this will make sense for those familiar with how Linux handles interface binding.

Android_Optimizer
Contributor - Level 2

First try what Smith6612 suggested to see if that makes a difference. After that switch your preferred network back to global. Testing has show (and there are many posts on android forums backing up the results) that phones are connecting faster to towers in global mode compared to the LTE/CDMA mode, and it also connects to 4g more often than the LTE/CDMA mode.

To try to improve the battery problem try clearing the system cache. (If you have a Fastboot mode on your phone shut if off first). Here is how to clear the cache on the s5:

1. Power off your smartphone
  2. Press and hold "Volume up", "Home" and "Power" at the same time
  3. After the phone vibrates, release the "Power" button but continue to hold "Volume Up" and "home"
  4. Once the "Android System Recovery" screen appears, release all the hardware buttons
  5. Using the "Volume Down" button, navigate to and highlight "wipe cache partition"
  6. Press "Power" to select the option
  7. Once the cache partition has been wiped, "Reboot System Now" should be highlighted
  8. Press the "Power" key to reboot your device
0 Likes
Android_Optimizer
Contributor - Level 2

(Not really related to this issue, but its also interesting to note that turning off caller ID like Smith6612 suggests also effects weather app widgets current location information. With it enabled it reports only list the state someone resides in when current location is selected, but with it off it reports more precisely with the city.)