My new iphone 5s used up 90% data within a few days! Verizon please tell the truth.
MysonandI

We have 2 phones on the plan.  A Droid and the iphone 5s which replaced our iphone 4s. We've never, ever used up our data prior to buying this iphone 5s.  Verizon tech # 1 told me to uninstall and reinstall email accounts...this did not work. Rep#2 said I need to uninstall some apps because they are using data when the phone is not in use....Huh? I never added any new apps. I'm using the same apps that were in place before I purchased this data hungry beast.

May I please (I'm begging you Verizon) speak with a knowledgable and skilled rep who won't guess and make excuses? This phone is eating up all my data and the bill is getting higher and higher...yest I'm not doing anything different from before. Why do I get the feeling Verizon Reps are "Acting" as though this is the first time they've ever heard of this? 

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: My new iphone 5s used up 90% data within a few days! Verizon please tell the truth.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello MysonandI!

I'd be happy to help you, and I'm sorry for any confusion regarding the data usage on your iPhone. Note that when using Wifi, the Wifi antenna will go to sleep when the screen goess off in order to conserve battery life. This is by design when it comes to the iPhone. As soon as the screen comes back on, Wifi will reconnect. This means that when the device's screen turns off and it's in standby mode, Wifi turns off and you're using cellular data. I recommend turning off cellular data when using Wifi. Once you are outside of the range of a Wifi signal, simply turn cellular data back on. Just click settings/cellular/cellular data to turn off/on.

Thank you,

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: My new iphone 5s used up 90% data within a few days! Verizon please tell the truth.
jtciampa

"This means that when the device's screen turns off and it's in standby mode, Wifi turns off and you're using cellular data."

What??? Okay, I get that wireless turns of when the screen goes black and the phone is in standby but with that said then how is anything being used?  Standby by definition means idle, nothing going on. All systems stopped! 

I have done EVERYTHING that I can to make a smart phone a dumb phone. 

• re-installed O/S
  • Turned of Background App Refresh
  • Have no other apps added to the iphone 5s accept Facebook
  • Have only added one email account

And this is how my phone uses cellular data:

iphone 5s on Verizon.JPG

Now, can someone explain to me why the phone pulls on the cellular side in this 6 hr cycle four times a day?  I assure you there is no way that I am so routine to use the phone in this fashion.  I am also at home way before 10:48 pm and certainly don't use the phone at 4:48 am.  Even if I did I am on my wireless. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@jtciampa

I can definitely understand your concerns with this type of data usage, especially at odd times of the day!

It appears there is an application running in the background, probably set to sync data at specific times.  You can optimize your data usage and see which applications are using cellular data: http://vz.to/1l2kGlD.  And in your case, I would also disable cellular data for automatic downloads: http://vz.to/1l2labt.  Lastly, is your iCloud enabled and set to backup using cellular data: http://vz.to/1l2m5ZJ?  Please let me know so that I can further assist.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Not applicable

Anthony is actually giving you correct information. I have 2 iPhone 5s devices and at the end of the month cycle it shows around 12-22 MB since I use WiFi almost 90% of the time.

The phone will as stated all over the net and at Apples forum use data for updates or backups in small amounts. As you can see.

I have a 12 days to go. and have used just 20 MB of my unlimited data.

Good Luck

datause.png

0 Likes