My text messages are showing up as numbers instead of contact names
Tinsko

I recently got a new iphone 4 because I broke the screen on the old one... I backed up the old one on my Mac in itunes then put the backed up info on my new iphone4.  The phone numbers now appear in this format xxx-xxxxxxx in my contact list.  When people from my contact list text me, I can't tell who they are because only their number shows up... not their name and the numbers show up in xxx-xxx-xxxx format.  I think this is my problem.  I went back to my contact list and tried to put the dash where it is supposed to go but I don't have any control over the dashes.  The phone puts them in where it wants to.  How can I fix this?  I've tried taking everything back out of my phone and starting over and that didn't do it. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My text messages are showing up as numbers instead of contact names
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get your phone back to normal pronto Tinsko! First troubleshooting step is to reprogram your phone as doing this has resolved similar issue for others, here is how to do it:

1) Open the Phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.

2) When the system answer press 1 for "Program or activate your phone"

3) Wait for the call to disconnect and then power off and on.

Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
remrkable25

I tried the *228 with option one, then i turned off the phone.  When i turned it back on, nothing had changed.  All my text messages still show numbers along with my favorites and recents.  What else can i do

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

remrkable25,

Lets get the names on your contacts back! Have you tried to reset the network settings on the device? Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. If that does not work follow these exact steps in this order:
1. Dial *228 option 1
2. Dial *228 option 2
3. Close all the apps on the phone
4. Power cycle (on/off) the phone

Let us know if this works.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes