How does the Kindle app work and how much data does it use? Can I download books thru wi-fi, then read them later when wi-fi is not available?
Cindig40

How does the Kindle app work and how much data does it use?  Can I download books thru wi-fi, then read them later when wi-fi is not available?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How does the Kindle app work and how much data does it use?  Can I download books thru wi-fi, then read them later when wi-fi is not available?
rcschnoor
Legend

That is correct. As long as both devices are signed into the same Kindle account, you would be able to use the app to read the books without paying again. There is a limit to how many devices you can have a book on at any one given time, though. Normally it is 5 devices. If you want it on another device and already have it on 5 devices, simply delete it from one of the other devices and you would then be able to download it to the new device.

For example, I have a Kindle account I share with my wife, daughter and my mother and father in-law. We have maybe 200-300 books in our Kindle account. Most new books we purchase can be read by all 5 of us at the same time on 5 different devices. We actually have 8 or 9 devices on the account, but are limited to having a book on only 5 devices at a time. If you have multiple people reading the same book, it is best to turn off automatic syncing to the furthest read point since different people would have read at different rates.

As to your iOS question. In our Kindle account we have old Kindles active, we have a Kindle PaperWhite active, we have iPads active, iPhones active, android tablets active and android smartphones active. You can have androids, iOS products AND actual Kindles active on the same account.

View solution in original post

Re: How does the Kindle app work and how much data does it use? Can I download books thru wi-fi, then read them later when wi-fi is not available?
rcschnoor
Legend

It downloads the book and saves it on your device. You then read it whenever you want. If you do the initial download via wifi, you will use very little data when using the app. I believe each time you start up the app, it checks for items waiting to download and syncs all of the books you currently have on your device.

Even if you choose to download a book via cellular data, it does not use much data. I think the average book is only a couple of MB.

0 Likes
Re: How does the Kindle app work and how much data does it use? Can I download books thru wi-fi, then read them later when wi-fi is not available?
ClaireTaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I have books on my kindle, and want to view them on my phone, can I use this app to do it (ie I don't have to pay again for the books...?)

0 Likes
ClaireTaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just realized this is an Android discussion... does anyone know if that app works on iOS?

0 Likes
Re: How does the Kindle app work and how much data does it use?  Can I download books thru wi-fi, then read them later when wi-fi is not available?
rcschnoor
Legend

That is correct. As long as both devices are signed into the same Kindle account, you would be able to use the app to read the books without paying again. There is a limit to how many devices you can have a book on at any one given time, though. Normally it is 5 devices. If you want it on another device and already have it on 5 devices, simply delete it from one of the other devices and you would then be able to download it to the new device.

For example, I have a Kindle account I share with my wife, daughter and my mother and father in-law. We have maybe 200-300 books in our Kindle account. Most new books we purchase can be read by all 5 of us at the same time on 5 different devices. We actually have 8 or 9 devices on the account, but are limited to having a book on only 5 devices at a time. If you have multiple people reading the same book, it is best to turn off automatic syncing to the furthest read point since different people would have read at different rates.

As to your iOS question. In our Kindle account we have old Kindles active, we have a Kindle PaperWhite active, we have iPads active, iPhones active, android tablets active and android smartphones active. You can have androids, iOS products AND actual Kindles active on the same account.

ClaireTaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

wow you just saved me a ton of money... THANKS Smiley Happy

katie1311

Once you have downloaded a book from the app and you start to read it do you continue to use data?

0 Likes
elise212
Enthusiast - Level 1

Once book is downloaded to Kindle app on a device it does not require wifi or data when reading.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

katie1311 I love reading e book too! the data is only used when the book has to be downloaded. Data is not being used while you're reading the book. We hope this helps.

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes