Can I move my text history to my new device?
Chuck32

I am moving from the HTC Droid Incredible 2 to the Galaxy S5 and need to migrate my text history to the new phone. Does anyone know if that is possible? As a business user it is critical to reference the text history, harvest data or show proof of temporary agreements. For example, a client agrees to a change order via text with email or paper to follow; the text messages is the record of the agreement until it is replaced by more robust instrument.

Any suggestions or workarounds? Will Verizon Cloud hold my text and allow transfer to new phone?

Thank You -Chuck

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Migrate Text history to New Phone
rcschnoor
Legend

If you don't have some sort of backup app installed, the text history will not transfer. You may want to try installing SMS Backup & Restore in order to backup your texts. This saves your information in a file you can transfer to your new phone and then restore your history from that file.

Additionally, if you use Verizon Messages as your texting app, this will sync your texts if you switch phones. Unfortunately, it will not sync texts from before you started using the app, but you may want to keep it in mind for future use. This app also allows you to send/receive texts from a tablet/laptop/desktop which would appear on your phone, too. I find it quite useful.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are apps in the Play Store, such as SMS Backup and Restore.

rcschnoor
Legend

If you don't have some sort of backup app installed, the text history will not transfer. You may want to try installing SMS Backup & Restore in order to backup your texts. This saves your information in a file you can transfer to your new phone and then restore your history from that file.

Additionally, if you use Verizon Messages as your texting app, this will sync your texts if you switch phones. Unfortunately, it will not sync texts from before you started using the app, but you may want to keep it in mind for future use. This app also allows you to send/receive texts from a tablet/laptop/desktop which would appear on your phone, too. I find it quite useful.

DzNts
Enthusiast - Level 2

SMS Backup & Restore or Verizon Messages are your only options as SMS Backup+ doesn't work on kitkat yet (which is the version on Galaxy S 5).

If SMS Backup+ was compatible with kitkat, I'd reccomend it since it backs them up to your gmail account and keeps them searchable although it doesn't do MMS like SMS Backup & Restore.

0 Likes