Authentication error when trying to connect to home WiFi
Xanstar

My Galaxy 3 won't connect to my home wireless. I've entered the correct SSID and authentication method, I've removed the connection and re-established it, I've rebooted the phone, etc. I do not have this problem accessing WiFi anywhere else. If it matters, the home service is Comcast--and it's the exact same modem & general service as my daughter has, and I have no problems accessing her WiFi.

This question or similar has been asked before, but it looks like no one has been able to answer it so far. I'm hoping that a new discussion might find someone out there who has figured this problem out and fixed it.

Thanks,

Suzanne

0 Likes
Re: Authentication error when trying to connect to home WiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have access to wifi as much as possible with your wireless device Xanstar. I'm sorry you're having issues. Thanks for all the trouble-shooting you have performed. What error message do you receive when trying to connect the wifi? Is the option on your phone able to be accessed? Does it advise the passcode is incorrect? Lets figure this out so that you can have more access to your phone.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
bobbiew
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same exact problem.  Up until a week ago my Galaxy3 phone automatically connected to my home network whenever I was in my house.  All of a sudden, my phone powered off and when it came back up I no longer can connect to my home network.  It will work with any other network outside of my house.  I tried all the same things that you did including powering off my modem etc.  My home computer and tablet are all fine.  My husbands Droid X phone still works.   Everything can connect to my home modem except my Samsung Galaxy3 phone.

I don't know what happened buy every time the phone tries to connect to my home modem, it gets an authentication error message.  When I look at the settings, it looks like the IP address is missing.  The phone won't let me "forget" or remove the address.  I have tried countless times.  I also can't add the IP address manually...there is no way to do this.  I would appreciate Anyone helping.  It's very frustrating.  Did you ever get an answer?

LMK..thanks

roberta

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Bobbiew. I'm sorry your having issues connecting to wifi. Let's get this addressed! Please try powering down the device remove and reinsert the Sim and retest.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
sptinydancer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here.  I have the LG 4G.  Use a home router, and my wireless laptop works fine.  Used to be able to connect on my phone.  Now it says secured, but then "authentication error".  I entered the network password, but when I entered it, it would not connect.  Like the others, I can connect to public Wifi (and post on FB) just fine.

All I know is that 2 days ago, I was transferring pictures from my phone to my mini laptop, and was prompted to turn off Wifi.  So I did.  Now I can't get back on.  I've reset my modem, entered password...keep getting authentication error.         Grrrrrr!                    Thankyou in advance.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sptinydancer,

Sorry to hear you cannot connect to the Wi-Fi. Let's get you connecting again. You stated that you use a wireless router and you can connect the wireless labtop. This points us in the direction of the device. You wrote that you reset the modem. Did you also reset the router? If so, that usually will change the password to the default for the router. Is that the password you are using? We want to be sure as this would cause an authentication error.

On the device, from the home screen, press the menu button and select "Settings." In the Settings menu touch Wi-Fi. On the Wi-Fi menu press the menu button and select "Manage networks." In the manage networks menu touch your Wi-Fi network and you will get a pop-up with the details. Touch remove at the bottom of the pop-up. Next press the back button to go to the previous screen (Wi-Fi). Touch scan at the bottom and reconnect to your Wi-Fi network.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Danni111972
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine has starting disconnecting from my home Wifi also.  I have to always hit "connect" whereas before as soon as I walked into the house it automatically picked it up.  But Actually since the Dec/Jan update my Wifi has been spotty even when I am sitting right next to the router. Verizon is aware of this problem with that  update and they never made a patch to fix all those issues, so all I can say is good luck with getting issue fixed.  Just one problem in a long line of problems with Verizon version of the SG3.

0 Likes