Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 Global GSM Does not work
jpitt916

Please help me remove the message from my phone as well.  I am using Batelco in Bahrain, have successfully added the APN but can't get rid of the error message which is highly annoying.  I'm already over there and it'll cost me a lot to call back so if you can please contact me here (removed) I would greatly appreciate it.

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Hanna-Leena
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do I need Country specific SIM card  for my Samsung Galaxy S4 to work overseas? Or is it just a SIM card?

thanks

Hanna-Leena

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That sounds really exciting! Hanna-Leena, to make sure you can stay in contact with family and friends, while visiting a different country, you can definitely use a SIM card specific to that country. I recommend reaching out to a local service provider out there, once you arrive. They will provide you with a compatible SIM card, and also help program your phone, if needed, so it works with the visiting country's signal type.

While we cannot guarantee service out there, your phone is all set and ready for you to start this process.

In the event that you want to use your existing SIM, please keep in mind that Roaming charges will apply. If you would like us to help you configure your device for back up service, let us know, and we can help out! Here is a link with a few more additional details with regards to roaming in a different country. http://vz.to/17KseUf

Thank you Hanna-Leena. Enjoy your trip!

NicandroN_VZW
VZW Support

Follow us on twitter @VZWSUpport

mrfried

I am a little confused by your comments re: Japan and SIM cards.

You Stated "Your upcoming trip to Japan sound amazing selin319. I know the importance of ensuring you are able to use your phone while out of the country. I am happy to confirm that your Samsung Galaxy S4 will be compatible to use while in Japan. Prior to you leaving out of the country, please ensure you contact our Customer Service Department to ensure we activate the SIM card. In the event you encounter difficulites with service while out of the country you may contact our Global Support Team at 1-908-559-4899."

I am trying to understand like the above posts, If I pick up a local sim card from a Japanese company will it work properly in Japan for data.  You state above the phone is compatible and we should contact Verizon to activate it.

Traveling to Japan and hoping to use my unlocked Samsung S4 for data.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Likes
aprilinindia
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Pam,

I hope you can help me! I am having a similar problem as Umesh. I bought a Galaxy S4 in the US  and then moved to India.  The primary reason I bought it was because I was assured that it would work flawlessly with a local Indian Sim.  I put in an Airtel Sim, and bought airtime and a data package. The voice is working fine, but I can't get the data to work, and I REALLY need the data to work urgently, or I am screwed.

I took my phone to the airtel office here, and they said that the problem was the software from the US was a different version from what they use. I also met a local tech who offered to remove the US software and put the Indian one on. I did not do that because I want my phone to also work when I travel to the US (is that too much to ask??)

I spoke to Verizon customer service tonight who told me that the reason was because the Samsung Galaxy S4 doesn't allow you to put in an APN for a network other than Verizon.  This didn't make sense to me, because my phone has a menu for APNs and I have an Airtelgprs APN already there.

My US Verizon acct is active and in good standing.  I would appreciate any solution you can offer.

Warm wishes,

April

0 Likes
rishi82in

Hi

I have recently purchase htc one m8 verizon factory unlocked however whilst using in india i am unable to update since it mentions update only available in CDMA mode & i am using GSM

0 Likes
B33
Legend

The phone won't update because of the system your trying to use it on, you come back the states put a Verizon 4G Sim Card back into it you shouldn't have an issue doing the update.. Hope that Helps.. b33

edmiii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Notice the message says TMobile works but Verizon doesn't.  I had the same experience in Bahrain.  I am adding TMobile as a second number on my iphone 14 and if TMobile works where Verizon does not then Goodbye Verizon.  My increasingly obvious perception is that Verizon is not a phone for anywhere except North America and Europe and some parts of Asia.  The staff at TMobile appears to be a lot easier to deal with.  The Verizon store is full of complaining people and no staff.  The TMobile store is full of staff with nothing to do and no complaining people.  Surprised me today.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
edmiii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tech support didn't help.  No surprise.  I spent 4 hours on the phone trying to get an iPhone 14 working in Bahrain while watching all the TMobile phones working.  I am adding TMobile as a second number and see what happens.  If TM works where Verizon does not then it's time to say goodbye to Verizon.  TM is basically GSM.  Verizon is supposed to cover GSM but apparently not.  It was originally CDMA only and didn't work in Europe.  Seems we are back to where we were 30 years ago with having to rely on a GSM US carrier for service outside of North America

Tags (1)
0 Likes
edmiii
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hear your pain.  Verizon tech just carries on about changing plans.  Plans are just billing mechanisms.  Travel Pass should work.  But in many countries Verizon doesn't work and I found out last week TMobile does.  Probably goodbye Verizon

0 Likes