Re: Speakerphone keeps turning on by itself
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying the previous steps lumlum and sharing what worked for you.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks lumlum. I tried going into Apps and uninstalling the last update. Essentially, it's back to the factory version of Text to Speech. I then had to turn off the Auto Update feature for that App. It's a pain that it keeps popping back up saying the app needs to be updated but I've had a few calls since trying it last night and so far the problem hasn't occured again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this resolved it.

0 Likes
nhtech75
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm in tech support for a company that manufactures headsets. We are fielding multiple calls (past 2 weeks) for customers that have had no issues for months or years. Now they are calling and saying there phone is changing the audio source over to speakerphone. This seems to be Motorola with Android Version 4.1.2 or specifically Motorola Razr phones. There is no fix that we know if right now and if we try to refer them over to VZ... VZ is saying there is nothing that can be done. I'm looking for any feed back from anyone that might have something that's different than I mentioned. Just so I can build on this and have a case to present. Good Luck to all,  if I have anything of value I will post it right away.

paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bad news. After a few calls the past 2 days and not having the problem anymore since I downgraded Text-to-Speech to the factor version, it's doing it again. Was just on a bluetooth call for an hour and it flipped over to Speakerphone twice in the last 10 minutes of the call.

This is so frustrating and obviously a wide-spread problem impacting all RAZR models. Verizon - what can we do here????  Something had to have changed 2 or 3 weeks ago that users don't have control over.

0 Likes
paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just read on an HTC forum that they are having the same issue and it's across different carriers. Someone figured out that it's the latest update to Chrome. Several people downgraded their Chrome and the problem was solved. I looked and sure enough, Chrome was updated on Feb 28th which is around when this all started. I just downgraded and will see if it works. If you try it, remember to turn off Auto Update for that app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

paulras,

I understand this can be frustrating and we definitely want your device running as it should all the time. You will have to backup everything to our cloud or PC then complete a factory reset http://vz.to/1cmiYYj . Don't forget to disable Automatic Restore http://vz.to/1kzmT9n prior completing the reset. I suggest this step because you did not have a problem while in Safe Mode, which prevents 3rd party apps from functioning; it tells us we need to clear the phone and use as new.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nhtech75
Enthusiast - Level 2

AdaS_VZW

This is not a specific device issue. If you contact Motorola or look at your local program that you use inside VZ... this issue is widespread and is causing issues with HTC, Samsung and or Motorola. A reset or factory reset will NOT solve this issue. Is there another resolution???

Thank you,

Kregg G.

Yak-attack

Paulras, Thank you for taking the time to look for a solution.  I downgraded my Chrome and so far so good.  I will post here if I have any more issues.  The last thing I want to do is a factory reset again....  Seems like that is there answer for everything.  Between my phone and my wife's phone (current and past Razr's), we have to do resets quite often.  She has had to do 2 resets in the past 6 months on her Razr M.  My next phone will not be a Razr.

0 Likes
paulras
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not resetting my whole phone. After several days of no problems, I'm calling this problem confirmed to be the last update of Chrome.  This problem crosses many Android phones over many carriers based on my searches.

For those with the problem, go to PlayStore and uninstall the updates to Chrome, go to settings for the app and uncheck auto-update. Then keep an eye on the PlayStore for a date after Feb 28th. At that point, you can recheck auto-update. Hopefully that next version of Chrome will fix the problem. Not sure when the next update to Chrome will be.

Verizon - can you contact Google to let them know that the Feb 28th update is causing this problem? Hopefully they already figured that out but you never know.

Everyone with the problem - try this and report back if this has fixed it. Just make sure you aren't auto-updating for Chrome or you'll be right back in the same place.

0 Likes