Will tethering cause me to use less data?
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

If I tether my notebook computer to my ipad which is connected to the internet via wifi, will it use less data than if the ipad was connected via cellular ?                                                                                                                

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Tethering via Cellular vs WIFI
Not applicable

richie72846 wrote:

>>Your notebook should have built in wi-fi adapter.<<

Yes it does. Here's the problem. I live on a boat at a large marina. The marina offers free wifi to members. Problem is, my boat is so far away from the antenna my very old netbook will not receive the signal. However, my ipad shows 3 bars and a good connection. I was going to purchase a "dongle" for the netbook but if I can tether I think that will save me money.

Connecting to WiFi is not going to save you money. Since you have free WiFi at the marina I would get a WiFi extender and put it on your boat. It will or should improve the reception. However the people running the free WiFi have to set it up with their network.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

richie72846 wrote:

If I tether my notebook computer to my ipad which is connected to the internet via wifi, will it use less data than if the ipad was connected via cellular ?                                                                                                                

You just connect to the WiFi which costs you nothing in that you pay your service provider. Or use a free wifi service.

Cellular always is going to cost you money, loads more than WiFi.

I almost thought this was a spoof question.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your notebook should have built in wi-fi adapter. It doesn't make sense to use the Ipad for wi-fi. And yes use wi-fi over cellular. if you are tethering you Ipad to your notebook you a e using cellular data.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Yes it does. Here's the problem. I live on a boat at a large marina. The marina offers free wifi to members. Problem is, my boat is so far away from the antenna my very old netbook will not receive the signal. However, my ipad shows 3 bars and a good connection. I was going to purchase a "dongle" for the netbook but if I can tether I think that will save me money.

0 Likes
Not applicable

richie72846 wrote:

Connecting to WiFi is not going to save you money. Since you have free WiFi at the marina I would get a WiFi extender and put it on your boat. It will or should improve the reception. However the people running the free WiFi have to set it up with their network.

Good Luck

0 Likes