Why is my phone not connecting to internet while I talk on the phone?
Magpul83
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I'm on the phone with someone, I can't seem to Google a number or look up something on Facebook or any of my apps because it says no data connection, when I hang up it works. What causes this? I have had a couple of other phone carriers in the past that allowed me to multi-task with out any issues. I have the iPhone 5s.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No internet connection while talking on the phone.
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Verizon iPhones do not support simultaneous voice and data on the cellular network.

Other LTE phones on Verizon do support this.

And other GSM carriers (such as AT&T) also support this.

You will need to be connected to a WiFi network if you want to access data while on a voice call on an iPhone on Verizon currently.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Most data services do not function when you are on a call. You can transmit data or voice but not both.

Perhaps you were using wifi at the time on the other phones, but every phone I've had data will not transmit while on a call.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Verizon iPhones do not support simultaneous voice and data on the cellular network.

Other LTE phones on Verizon do support this.

And other GSM carriers (such as AT&T) also support this.

You will need to be connected to a WiFi network if you want to access data while on a voice call on an iPhone on Verizon currently.

Magpul83
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I came from the note 3 and was able to multitask. Seems like they could make the iPhone's do the same? Makes you not want another iPhone's. This is my last one I miss android.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Apple chose not to include the chip that would have enabled this on the Verizon iPhone.

It will be able on the next round of phones when Verizon rolls out VoLTE.

For me it's not a big deal. But each user should make decisions about what works best in their particular situation.

0 Likes