What causes data usage on basic phone?
Sassypants14

I just checked our usage and one of our kids has used 7MB of data on their basic phone.  She doesn't know what she did to cause that.

The data usage details only gives the date and time and how much usage. I need to know how to prevent this in the future?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What causes data usage on basic phone?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even basic phones have a basic web browser and ability to browser the Media Center (Get it Now) for ringtones, ringbacks, wallpapers, etc.  She may have looked through some ringtones, perhaps even downloaded one or two....  there are games that link to the internet and use data while playing also, especially if you are playing against an opponent,

To prevent future data occurrences, log on to MyVerizon and block data, downloads, etc from that line.  Then  even if she accidentally hits the browse button, nothing will happen.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even basic phones have a basic web browser and ability to browser the Media Center (Get it Now) for ringtones, ringbacks, wallpapers, etc.  She may have looked through some ringtones, perhaps even downloaded one or two....  there are games that link to the internet and use data while playing also, especially if you are playing against an opponent,

To prevent future data occurrences, log on to MyVerizon and block data, downloads, etc from that line.  Then  even if she accidentally hits the browse button, nothing will happen.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Sassypants14,

I'm sorry for the confusion over the usage details. SuzyQ is correct, basic phones do have the ability to use data. The examples that SuzyQ gave are exactly how a basic phone can use data.

Visit http://vz.to/1eTBmZv for steps on how to set up blocks to prevent usage from happening in the future.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
harilor

Having same issue with my new Pantech.  Issue seems to be the backup assistant syncing all the time. I cannot figure out how to turn this off or disable it on a basic phone. Have resorted to turning off the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sassypants14,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems on your Pantech phone. Let's take a look and disable this if that is what you would like to have done. What Pantech model do you have?

Thank you,

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes