How can I view my childrens text messages? Is there an App for that?
Mama2424
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to be able to view my children's texts messages. I don't believe Verizon offers this but is there an App for that?

Labels (1)
Re: How can I view my childrens text messages? Is there an App for that?
Tidbits
Legend

Make sure you know the laws in your state. It some states what you are asking is illegal. However in most cases you can have a contractual agreement to view as you see fit, and install software which can allow you to view them.

Legally Verizon can't have a hand in what you are asking. They do not want to be liable for any mishaps.

Not applicable

I wonder how nay people that want to spy on there kids are mad that the NSA was doing the same to them? Well the NSA wasn't even spaying on them and they still got mad.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

NSA is just a large database looking for keywords. If a flag is thrown they dig deeper. If everything checks out the information gets purged later.

Honestly it doesn't bother me any. They know everything about me anyway. My life is very repetitive.

rcschnoor
Legend

I wouldn't be so sure. The phone is the responsibility of the account owner. You would think the account owner has the right to look at the phone. You may point out that a parent does not have the right to view the library records of a child for books checked out with the child's library card. The difference here is that it is the child's library card and therefore they have the right of privacy. The phone is NOT in the child's name, but the parent's name. Verizon does not even allow people under 18 to sign up for service, I believe.

Certainly, if you wanted to look at the texts on someone else's account the story would be different, but ANYTHING on MY account should be available to me.

To the OP: does your child have a smartphone? If so, you can simply install Verizon Messages on your child's phone in order to send/view messages across multiple devices. You would simply have to sign in to the MyVerizon account for that line in order to do so. Then you could view the messages from that line on a tablet/computer when signed in as that user.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There have already been court cases on this. Regardless if you own the phone and paying for the phone they have the right to privacy in some states. There have been cases within the last two years I believe.

rcschnoor
Legend

That may be so, but they do not also have the right to a phone financed by another, except in extreme cases such as divorce and even then it would be decided case by case. I would simply cancel the line before it got to that point if having access to the information was that important to me.

THEN the person wanting to use the phone could pay for their own phone and certainly have an expectation of privacy.Smiley Happy

I would be curious to find out if these cases you mention were more likely a group of people who joined together in order to save money on a phone plan, with each paying for their own phone/service. In this case, Verizon only allows one person to be the account owner, but EACH person on the plan would certainly have an expectation of privacy, especially since they are paying for their line/service/phone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Kids and their parents. The kids won against their parents. The judge ruled if the kids don't know beforehand the are protected. If they knew about it and took the phone anyway then they waived their right.

rcschnoor
Legend

I guess I simply assumed any parent giving a phone to a child would have done so with the knowledge their usage would be monitored. I know I did.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it whether or not the kids won. It seems if the kids continue to use the phone, they now have knowledge and have therefore waived their right. Additionally, anything the parents have already seen obviously can't now be unseen and any parent going thru this I assume would have taken the phone away when the child refused access to the phone.Smiley Happy

Tidbits
Legend

Technically they did violate the children's rights when the children had no prior knowledge of it happening. Even after that even the kids know now they don't have to comply and the parents up until the end of those contracts still have to back off.

Before all this happened recently I told my kids upfront and if they wanted me to get them smart phones I would have access to them as I see fit. If they didn't like it then they can get their own phones and plans.

So in essence know your state laws and let your kids know the terms.

In all honesty I believe a lot of this stuff is bull. If they do bad we are liable. If that's the case all rights should be waived to parents by default. Granted some can't. Like right to live for example.

0 Likes