Samsung delivers official statement regarding Galaxy S3′s Android 4.3 update issues
aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Wow.....nice to know they acknowledged this and delayed it. But wait, we're having these same issues today! So....what happened??! This article was posted on 11-18-13.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/18/samsung-delivers-official-statement-regarding-galaxy-s3s-android...

Two weeks ago, Samsung finally released the much awaited Android 4.3 update for the Galaxy S III, but immediately after updating the device to Android 4.3 users started to complain about various bugs they were encountering. We ourselves tested the Android 4.3 update extensively and came to the conclusion that Samsung might have rushed with the new update just so that they could bring in GALAXY Gear’s support to the Galaxy S III. Samsung KNOX was also not implemented in the software update, even though Samsung promised that it will introduce KNOX with the Android 4.3 update.

Major issues in new Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S III:-
- Wake up lag (Sometimes it takes a few seconds to wake the device from standby and sometimes a few minutes)
- Random Freezing
- Huge battery drain
- Bluetooth Audio issues during playback in car
- Stuttering music playback with stock Samsung music app
- Device freezes as soon a call is received (Black screen issue)
- Poor RAM management (very difficult to multitask)
- Wi-Fi issues

After receiving so many complaints about the new Android 4.3 software update, we contacted Samsung Mobile UK for an official statement on the matter, check the statement below.

“As we are currently investigating the reported issues with Galaxy S3 4.3 Jelly Bean update, the upgrading service has been temporarily suspended. We are committed to providing customers with the best possible mobile experience, and will ensure to resume the upgrading service at the earliest possibility.” – Samsung Mobile UK

According to the statement, Samsung has temporarily suspended the upgrade service and the Android 4.3 update (I9300XXUGMG9) has been pulled from FOTA and Samsung KIES. So you won’t be able to update your Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 at the moment.

Galaxy S3 users were waiting for this update for a long time now as the device was still running a year old version of Android (4.1.2), Samsung never updated the device to Android 4.2. We think Samsung should have taken some more time and iron out all the bugs before actually rolling out the firmware upgrade as it has made a lot of its customers very unhappy. We will let you folks know as soon as Samsung resumes the upgrade service again.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung delivers official statement regarding Galaxy S3′s Android 4.3 update issues
Tidbits
Legend

Samsung blocked downgrading. You will trip the Knox flag too.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Samsung delivers official statement regarding Galaxy S3′s Android 4.3 update issues
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why didn't you add this to your original post as a reply?

Also please don't repost this in multiple discussions. It's only going to be removed from them since they are duplicates which is a ToS issue here.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i haven't encountered any of the issues you mentioned & my battery life is better.

0 Likes
brewer_rob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have experienced the wake up lag (missed calls because of it.) and huge battery drain. Also experienced some Wi-Fi issues, at least at home. Does not appear to be an issue other places, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Rob

brewer_rob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, having Wi-Fi issues elsewhere as well. "Your Internet connection is unstable" appears with no additional information. Crappy.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

brewer_rob wrote:

Yes, having Wi-Fi issues elsewhere as well. "Your Internet connection is unstable" appears with no additional information. Crappy.

Have you tried turning off the Auto-switch in the Advanced option under the wifi settings?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
brewer_rob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, it is already unchecked. Saw that in another forum. Hasn't made any difference.

Rob

0 Likes
jadefu
Enthusiast - Level 3

My battery drain seems better after a factory reset (which took the whole weekend to backup, reset, and restore my pictures and contacts, ugg), but still not where it was before 4.3. But I'm also getting the wifi issue after the reset.

In the same room as my hubby, who has the same s3 but still on v4.2.2, his connection is fine and mine gives the error and drops. My wifi Tab2 also connects just fine. This tells me it's something with this update, not our wifi or router. I had no problem connecting to wifi before: never even saw that error message before!

I'm extremely concerned about this issue! VZW wants to charge for data and not allow unlimited data anymore, yet you screw up wifi connectivity with a software upgrade that then forces me to use 4g if I want Internet? Come on, that's super crappy, and a major technical issue to me. And borderline unfair business practice because you're trying to suck more money out of customers you charge for bandwidth, but then you cripple the phone? Come on.

Maybe if VZW didn't add all that bloatware on top of Samsung's update, it wouldn't have broken things.

Re: Samsung delivers official statement regarding Galaxy S3's Android 4.3 update issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry about your device issues brewer_rob. I know this is upsetting but we can  help. Have you tried removing the wifi connecting completely and setting it back up from the beginning? You can also reset your phone completely. Here are the steps http://vz.to/1bzjYDR. Keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: Samsung delivers official statement regarding Galaxy S3's Android 4.3 update issues
jadefu
Enthusiast - Level 3

After doing a factory reset of my phone, my battery life looked better briefly, but is back to being awful.

For example, this morning I took my phone off the charger and came to work. I haven't touched it at all. I just woke it up and checked the battery life chart, and took this screenshot. After 2 hours of not being touched, the battery is down almost 50%? Obviously something is wrong:

Screenshot_2014-01-03-11-31-44.png

I'm paying to have a working phone! This is super frustrating! I didn't have ANY problems like this before the 4.3 update!