Wireless connectivity issues with Ellipsis
DAK1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Verizon Ellipsis™ 7 that I am trying to get to work on my home WIFI. I use a 10 year old Linksys router with WEP protection. When I start up my tablet I can connect to the router and begin to surf, so I know the devices are associated. However after a very short time the connection stops working. If I check the status, it reports a good signal but no communication stopped. If I restart the service I get a connection and the connection speed is displayed. I can sometimes maintain the connection for a few minutes, but sooner or later (usually sooner) the connection is broken, even though the signal strength is good, and I have to turn off the tablet WIFI and turn it back on to get it to work. Would a new router help this problem? I never have any issue with the three laptops and one desktop that are connected to the router, just with the tablet. Is there some difference in the way the connection is managed by the device? Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless connectivity issues with Ellipsis
DAK1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can't change the security on the router as WEP is required by my company in order to be compatible with the configuration of my company provided laptop. I was wondering if the age of the router mattered, and your answer seems to indicate there is a good chance that updating or changing the router migh help.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would it be possible for you to update the router to a newer firmware and change the security settings to WPA at a minimum? WEP isn't as secure.

Also it might be worth replacing the router with a newer model. I was having trouble staying connected to my 8 year old Linksys router last with my Thunderbolt phone. The other devices would connect for the most part, but I was having some issues with the other devices. After I changed the router, all of the issues were gone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DAK1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can't change the security on the router as WEP is required by my company in order to be compatible with the configuration of my company provided laptop. I was wondering if the age of the router mattered, and your answer seems to indicate there is a good chance that updating or changing the router migh help.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

DAK1234 wrote:

Thanks!

Your company must not be too concerned with security.  The WEP protocol on WiFi routers is less secure then WPA or WPA2 protocols.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes