Re: Iphone 5 update to IOS 7, now visual voice mail does not work
clbrown3

somehow, when upgrading to iOS 7.0.3, our verizon voicemail boxes were lost.  you need to set it back up by calling your mobile number from your mobile phone.  you will be prompted to set up the voicemail box and create a password, do so.  after completing the simple setup, call your phone from another number, or have someone call you... leave a message and you should receive the voicemail message notification after hanging up.

that should take care of it.

good luck Smiley Happy

0 Likes
SunTiger
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to hard reset my phone and my Visual VM was gone (!!!) took your advice and called from my home landline... and all my old VMs, greeting and everything appeared in Visual VM format!! Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Thanks!

0 Likes
Oliver427
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having a problem vith visual voice mail on my iphone since September when IOS 7 first became available.  I have spent hours and hours on these forums looking for clues.  I have tried everything ... reset my voice mail password, reset my network settings, send myself a voice mail, and nothing worked, until today.

The symptoms boiled down to (a) a caller left a voice mail, (b) the VM badge illuminated on the Phone app, (c) the screen showed a voice mail present, but the "play" arrow and progress bar were greyed out.  I could see, therefore, that a voice mail was there, but I couldn't play it.

Today, I called Verizon Wireless Customer Serve telephone number, indicated that I had a problem with voice mail, and asked for Tech Support. I explained the problem to the Tech Rep, and told her that I had learned that the problem seems to correct itself once the account has been "re-provisioned".  Can we simply skip to that point?

She asked a few more technical questions, and I gave her some numbers buried in Settings=>About, and then she said, let's re-provision the account.  I was asked to power down the phone while this was going on, and she came back on the line in about a minute and said that it had been done.  I had to set up the voice mailbox from scratch. and surprisingly, there were old voice mails still i the system.  She asked me to delete tham, which I did.

She left me two voice mail messages, and visual voicemail worked.  I used my home phone and left a voice mail message, and it worked.  I used my neighbor's phone and left mysel a voice mail message, and it worked.

We theorized that the problem is likely one deep within IOS that was made manifest at the introduction of IOS 7. It was a contamination of the voice mail app from original VZW information, and that the best way of dealing with it was to "re-provision" the voice mail account.

By the way, "re-provisioning" merely deletes and re-establishes the account.  Nobody has to make a site visit or climb a telephone pole.  This entire procvess took 1/2 hour.  It's too bad that Apple doesn't acknowledge this as a potential issue and document findings that took me over three months to stumble upon.

I hope this helps.

Willard

Kaylalarkin

I have the same issue as every problem stated here.. I hate the iPhone 5. I have reset my phone hundreds of times and wiped it clean and even tried just not entering my Apple ID to start with and my visual vm still will not work... My life has become a living hell because of this... I am tempted to just drop my phone in the garbage disposal. Frustrated!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
vadhopper
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife had this problem on her iPhone 5s - but it only just started recently.  Messages dating from February through present would not delete.  After several hours of reading blogs and trying things, I called Verizon, and an excellent tech guy had to completely delete the voicemail box and create a new one.  I think this might be what is called "re-provisioning" the account.  It worked.  Note - the password was reset and I HAD to re-enter the password into the voicemail.  The phone HAD to be powered off while doing this.  ALL VM was lost (of course, in our case, this is what we wanted.

ANOTHER SOLUTION is to use an alternate voicemail service like LIBON.  I have NOT had this problem with my phone, because I use an alternate voicemail

While reviewing the blogs and all, it seems it is a glitch in the Apple software, but it MUST be fixed by Verizon.  They evidently have NOT created a system-wide fix if people are still having issues.

0 Likes