Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

great point Pyro.  It is not worth $700 extra/year for service, to be honest...but I am curious about what VoLTE Nexus devices will look like/be like and how VoLTE will change the landscape late next year / early 2015.  But that's the beauty of going to a PagePlus.. no contract and the phones work with Verizon's network, so if I really want to go back to Verizon for the network, I can. 

I share the same concerns on the MotoX or *any* device where we rely on Big Red to provide software updates!

0 Likes
bumblebeetuna
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hate to say it but VoLTE, especially on Verizon, is not coming for a LONG time. Especially if you consider LTE only phones with no CDMA backup. Even though the Verizon Moto X beat the Nexus 4 to an update I can't imagine it will beat it again next year. Let's hope I'm wrong on both fronts

0 Likes
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

At this point from what I hear with the VoLTE testing is due to

incompatibilities between radios "That may never get resolved" the phones

are unable to failback from VoLTE to CDMA, so if you go out of LTE & into

CDMA you'll lose your call & have to re-dial the other end. So the

usefulness of it may be limited for some until the network is fully

upgraded to support VoLTE.

0 Likes
TenaciousMV
Enthusiast - Level 3

mbe3204m - I'm on something that rhymes with Bait Walk. If I type the name here they'll delete it. Very happy so far.

mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nice...but what tech does it use?  With PagePlus the idea would be to keep our phones and port them to the new provider; can only do that if you're on Verizon's network (3g only, even, for now).

0 Likes
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can you bring your own Vzw phone to PagePlus? I don't see that option being clear. Searching around, it seems this is not directly supported. They also don't have LTE.

TenaciousMV, remember that Bait Walk has a clear line in their terms that prohibit streaming. If you...nathy reputation for being ruthless (the Walmart way).

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can bring just about any VZW phone to PagePlus.  They don't *officially* support the iPhone, for example, and your LTE will not work on their network (yet - told that's coming in '14), but that's part of the flashing process from VZW to PagePlus - you'd still catch the 3G signal for data.

pageplusdirect.com will actitvate iPhones and the rep I am working with says they activate many with no problems at all, and that Page Plus will be supporting iPhone officially in the near future (again, early '14).  He also said they do not actively look to shut off service to anyone who is able to activate an iPhone or flash an LTE device to work on their network.  Worst case scenario, if I run into problems I go elsewhere or sign up for a Verizon plan with no contract and continue shopping. 

0 Likes
GameDiversity
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, now that A) the reality has sunk in that the Galaxy Nexus will not get a 4.4 update (or a 4.3 update ... I have given up hope) and B) Straight Talk with the Nexus 5 working out just fine .... I have suspended my Verizon service ...

One thing about the change .... I can decide again, who to give my new number ... if I still like Straight Talk over the next 90 days, I will then cancel my Verizon service ...

One immediate plus, my phone bill is immediately $60 lighter and I am not on a contract ....

DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

I hope the VZW executive (removed) can feel the bleeding. 

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Adirolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

Knock, knock!!

Hello, Verizon?

Anyone listening?

Planning on updating us?

Let me help you all out. According to

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/528523/20131209/samsung-galaxy-nexus-android-4-kitkat-custom.htm#.Uqn...

When Google introduced the Android 4.4 KitKat update, the company confirmed that Samsung Galaxy Nexus reach the conclusion of its support life. The line will not receive an Android 4.3 and Android 4.4 update. Certainly, the primary reason why consumers purchase the Nexus devices is so they do not have to wait for the "official" updates and do it manually. The Galaxy Nexus is not far from this. Fortunately, there are custom ROM providers around.

NO 4.3 for us according to Google. I do not think that VZW will update the device on their own!

Let the weeping begin...

0 Likes