How much will texting cost in the U.S. Virgin Islands?
andymattmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have called Verizon, emailed Verizon and gone into two different stores and gotten different answers at every place.

I am going to St Thomas in the USVI. I have the IPhone 4S.

I know to turn off data and roaming. I am not concerned about calls as we have a land line where we are staying.

My question is texting. I have been told there is no plan they can put on for texting. I have been told IPhone to IPhone texting is free but other texts are 50 cents outgoing and 5 cents incoming. I have also been told there is no charge for texts from/to any phone.

My sister was told to turn on international services and that there is only a 50 cent charge for PICTURE/VIDEO texts.

Everytime I try to do a Verizon chat it is down- I have tried at various times for two weeks.
Does anyone have a correct answer?

THANKS!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Coverage in St Thomas USVI
SkiTownMama
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update - I just used the International Trip Planner - http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller for Virgin Islands - US and found the following

• Voice Rate - Standard: $1.99 per minute
  • Text Messages sent or received while in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are billed as though you were in the U.S.
  • Any data usage in Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands is considered domestic and will deduct from domestic allowances when available or would be billed at domestic overage/pay per use rates. See your current data plan or feature for details.

This slightly revises my summary above to the following

1. Calls (incoming or outgoing) - $1.99 per minute
  2. Texts (incoming or outgoing) - handled with your current texting plan
  3. Data - handled with your current data plan (assuming you can get data service where you are at in the islands)

Based on all of my research - I have no reason to believe that having my phone "Roaming" is causing me to incur any additional fees other than those I'll incur from making or receiving phone calls.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think might have some experience with USVI coverage.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I have been to St Croix, however having an Alltel plan, it is different. I know with a VZW plan data you are fine, however calls, you are charged for.

With an Alltel plan, all is covered, calls, messaging, data.

Let me poke around and what I can find about texting

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Just looked, it it 20c for each message sent or received

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Consistency is key, andymattmom.
I'm sorry this isn't what you experienced.
If ever there is a question about international services, I prefer to refer customers to our International Trip Planner which will list everything in black & white include dialing instructions. I'm sure this will help http://bit.ly/RvWHx7.
Have a great trip!

Tamara_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Patriciadmarks

I am not sure the question is answered because St Thomas and St John USVI are US not included in international and going to international does answer the question depending on the plan is there any way to get a clear answer from Verizon specific to your plan and as to calls, texts and  data?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I answered the question above on USVI. If you have a VZW Plan,. You pay for calls and messaging, data is handled usinf whatever your current data plan is.

If you have an Old Alltel plan, calls, messaging, data, are covered by the plan you have. For me, I have unlimited data and messaging so I would not be charged anything extra. Calls are handled under my 500 minute plan and N&W and F&F calls are handled according

0 Likes
SkiTownMama
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update - I just used the International Trip Planner - http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller for Virgin Islands - US and found the following

• Voice Rate - Standard: $1.99 per minute
  • Text Messages sent or received while in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are billed as though you were in the U.S.
  • Any data usage in Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands is considered domestic and will deduct from domestic allowances when available or would be billed at domestic overage/pay per use rates. See your current data plan or feature for details.

This slightly revises my summary above to the following

1. Calls (incoming or outgoing) - $1.99 per minute
  2. Texts (incoming or outgoing) - handled with your current texting plan
  3. Data - handled with your current data plan (assuming you can get data service where you are at in the islands)

Based on all of my research - I have no reason to believe that having my phone "Roaming" is causing me to incur any additional fees other than those I'll incur from making or receiving phone calls.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

My understanding you are looking at the roaming rates you will be charged for messages and calls

I sure would like to be there right now

JayP-FL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to the USVI in March 2014. Prior to leaving I both visited a local Verizon store and called them by phone. In both instances, I was told that cell phone usage in the USVI is considered "domestic" and charges only apply according to your domestic usage plan (i.e., if you have unlimited calling, texting, etc than there would be no charges, including roaming charges). I also looked online to see what information was available, and it appeared from the Verizon online information, that no charges would apply. Still, I requested and received a text message from Verizon before I left for the USVI that confirmed this, stating that the representative spoke to her supervisor and confirmed there were no roaming charges for use of voice, text or data in the USVI. Thank goodness I requested and received this text message.

On my most recent bill, I was charged about $130 for 46 minutes of voice usage for roaming charges while in the USVI. I contacted the Verizon chat line, provided the source text message that I received from them before I left to the USVI, and they then reversed the charges. The operator I chatted with, told me that the information I received was erroneous.

Based on my experience, either Verizon personnel do understand the USVI roaming charges that apply in the USVI or they improperly bill for these calls. I suggest that if you are in doubt about such costs as they apply to your particular plan, that you contact Verizon and then have them verify their answer in writing, by letter, email or text so that if you are billed for roaming charges, you will have something to contest their fees, just as I did.