Re: Activating Nexus 7 (2013) 4G LTE Tablet
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

All you have to do is pay for the hotspot feature on your phone... nothing shady about it.

watts4u2
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, not shady, but yes, additional cost for LTE Nexus, and additional device to get on LTE network.  I do not have a phone on Verizon, my wife does.  I have an old Galaxy Tab with 3G, so no spare Sim card.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It's no more additional cost than paying for service for the tablet.  If you don't even have a phone with Verizon, why do you care who provides the service for the tablet?

0 Likes
watts4u2
Enthusiast - Level 2

The additional cost is in the extra price for the LTE capable tablet.  Plus, the cost of another phone or hotspot and its service.  Right now, I have tablet on Verizon and want to replace it with the Nexus 7.  Verizon has the best network in my rural area.  Why are you determined to find fault with me?  Don't you think Verizon ought to certify the N7 like they said they would? 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder if you could go to a corporate store and get them to activate the SIM card on one of the display tablets. Then remove the SIM card from the temporary tablet and then put it in the Nexus 7 LTE tablet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

9R33K933K
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been using my Verizon hotspot device SIM card in my Nexus 7 2013 LTE since the Nexus 7 2013 LTE first became available with no issues thus far. I did have to increase my data plan from 4 to 6 GB after the first 3 weeks but this was to be expected as I am definitely consuming more data with the use of my new tablet. Prior to purchasing the 2013 LTE I had already owned 2 iPad (1st Gen) with AT&T 3G/CDMA (slow as molasses in an arctic winter), a Verizon hotspots device, a Verizon Home Phone Connect, a Verizon network extender and a Verizon HTC DNA.

For me, "activating" the tablet was as easy as obtaining a hotspot 4G LTE WIFI device from Verizon for $0 one time device cost and inserting the SIM card into my new Nexus 7 2013 LTE.

For full disclosure, the downside is that the hotspot has its own 2 year term (contract), the reoccurring monthly cost is $20 for the hotspot's SIM instead of the standard $10 per month for a tablet and there is no Verizon equipment protection (insurance) available for my Nexus 7 2013 LTE unlike the rest of the Verizon network devices that I own.

0 Likes
don13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any update on this?  Also, a question, what version of the LTE device should I purchase for use on Verizon -- assuming it will be approved for use. I don't see a "Verizon Wireless" version per se on Google Play. They offer (along with WiFi only):

- LTE (GSM networks)

- LTE with AT&T

- LTE with T-Mobile

Thanks.

0 Likes
watts4u2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Ann154, that is a good suggestion.  I was hoping to avoid going to the corporate store, but that looks like my best option at this point.  I know that what you are suggesting is possible, hopefully I will find a capable/willing customer service person at the Verizon store to help me.  I'd still like some official word from Verizon, though. 

0 Likes
watts4u2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Went to the Verizon store today, and hero employee set me up with an activated sim card, so now running on LTE.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

watts4u2 wrote:

Went to the Verizon store today, and hero employee set me up with an activated sim card, so now running on LTE.

That’s great to hear!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes