Car charger doesn't charge phone after 4.3 update
Nitsuj
Enthusiast - Level 3

for months the car charger has charged this phone fine, after upgrading to 4.3 it has stopped.

Anyone else?

Re: Car charger doesn't charge phone after 4.3 update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

One of my third party chargers doesn't work anymore. A second third party charger does, but that same one won't charge a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet while the tablet is powered on. I haven't tried my third party car charger yet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Nitsuj,

Lets keep your phone energized. Have you been using the same car charger the whole time? Where did you purchase this car charger from? Does it charge ok when you plug it into the wall?

Please provide additional details so I can better assist.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had a chance to try my car charger last night and it charges the phone without turning off the device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Nitsuj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have two different car chargers, one is a motorola the other a best buy redline or whatever their house brand is.

Before the 4.3 update both would charge my phone just fine, and had for months.

After the 4.3 update, when I plug it in it doesn't indicate it's charging at all for either of these vehicle chargers.

I know they can charge the phone as before the update I would get down to 40% or so, plug it in, drive for an hour and be at 80% or so.

Phone charges fine when plugged into a PC or the wall.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Nitsuj,

Thanks for the clarification. Outside brand charges are usually not recommended for devices. When you plugged it in did you get a message on the phone to use branded charger? If the chargers worked prior to the update there is nothing in the update to not allow them to work again. Have you tried charging a different phone with the chargers? You may also want to clean the charging port on both the phone and chargers. Follow those steps and let us know if you see any improvement.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jnashr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue, but mine is the Verizon branded car charger.  If I grab my samsung cable and plug it into the vacant usb port, then the phone charges fine, but the attached charging cable is not recognized unless I reboot my phone, and then it is only hit and miss.  Problems arose after the update.  A search online is showing that this is a common problem with this update.

0 Likes
Nitsuj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Some more data points.

If I restart my phone it will work with the car charger until it reaches full charge. Then it stops working with the car charger until I restart it again. So if I get to 100% using the car charger, use the phone for a while and get down to 90%, I have to restart the phone before it works with either car charger again.

I have the same problem with the verizon branded car charger I have as well

All three car chargers work just fine with my wife's intensity 2

0 Likes
leelalynn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here.

0 Likes
wpin

Same issue with Samsung GS4 and using my Motorola car charger. It worked fine before the update, now it doesn't.

0 Likes