Re: No WiFi after Jelly Bean Update
cindyfin

Ok, my final solution. I was staring at the status of my router, and even though I had changed the SSID and the password to get on my network, and had been using those settings which worked in the past, something didn't gel. The status said; ssid-byteme, the authentication was wep open, and the network key, which is different than my old password to get on the network- this is the original network key right off the router. Put that in instead of the custom password I had been using, and boom. Connected and on the internet. Hope people find this useful.

I am still getting that annoying popup that tells me; 'network unavailable' even though I can go right to the internet, and I AM connected, which is where my whole problem started. So over this.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You have me a little confused. First off when you buy your router the set up password is normally "Admin" for the log on and "Password" for the password. You then should have been prompted to change that routers password so others cannot access it.

Now lets get on to security. You can set up a network via selecting a SSID or keeping the name on the router. I change it. However you can opt to show your ssid or set it to not show. Just let it show.

You now have a few options as far as security. OPEN (Never do this) WEP (which is basic security but not as good as )

WPA/WPS/PSK 2 (this should be the one to choose its far better than WEP)

You then select your security type, the place a pass code in with letters, numbers, symbols. Uppercase and lowercase.

Now you need only take your devices cell phones,tablets,notebooks, wireless printers etc. After you locate the network name you made you click on connect, it will ask for your passcode. Enter it and each device should now be connected tio your network.

What you wrote is a mish mosh of things that you should not do.

0 Likes
cindyfin

First off, Elector, I don't need a lesson in setting up a router, nor did I ask for opinions on my setup. Your arrogance is on full display in your post. Things I should' do? I will set up my router any way I choose. It works. Until I had some update shoved down my throat. This solution worked for me, even though it makes no sense, so get over yourself.

Comments edited for language.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
cindyfin

Do you have a solution to this issue?  I don' t need a lesson in setting up a router. I'll set up my router the way I want, since I pay for it

>>Post edited to remove discussion of moderation and to comply with

Please send a Direct Message to moderator or admin_moderator   if you have concerns about moderation.<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
snogoldi

All 3 of my android devices had this WiFi disconnection problem after the security update July 18. I fixed the Router WiFi disconnection problem myself by updating my Netgear WNR2000 firmware to the latest version. After hours on the phone with the providers Cox, Motorola & Verizon with no solutions. This should have been one of the standard solutions offered by them. All my android devices have been working fine since July 20

0 Likes
Not applicable

cindyfin wrote:

First off, Elector, I don't need a lesson in setting up a router, nor did I ask for opinions on my setup. Your arrogance is on full display in your post. Things I should' do? I will set up my router any way I choose. It works. Until I had some update shoved down my throat. This solution worked for me, even though it makes no sense, so get over yourself.

Comments edited for language.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Your statement about it made no sense was spot on. If your giving people a solution give one that is not going ti cause them more problems. snogoldi was giving correct information and this action of changing or updating the router is posted all over this forum.

My comments were directed at how you claimed the set up worked in your case. Yeah it worked, but opened your network to outside attacks running an open network.

0 Likes
cindyfin

The network is NOT open. My 'advice' was simply based on my experience. People are free to try it or not. If you don't agree, then MOVE ON. God, I don't even know why you felt compelled to pick apart my post. Pathetic really. I'm done with you.

I am also DONE with Verizon. This is the LAST year for me with Verizon, and I have been with them since the late 90's, but this is the FINAL straw.

So long Verizon.

>>Post edited to remove discussion of moderation.  Please send a Direct Message to moderator or admin_moderator   if you have concerns about moderation.<<

0 Likes
Not applicable

>>Comment removed<<

I gave thed solution of either "update your router firmware" "purchase an up to date router" or have your "isp supply you with an updated one if you have a modem/router combination supplied by them"

Then on this forum quite possibly on this thread others have said that is what they did and it worked. Others said that they should not have to do this purchase and Verizon should push out a corrected update. I have written countless times only the phone maker can fix an OS update and push it out. I have read this has been done.

I will assume your anger is misdirected and I have been with verizon over 30 years but it really is not the fault of the cell company when outside factors are involved. Solutions here may or may not work. it is a crap shoot.

Good Luck

0 Likes
COvzcustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same frustrating wifi issue here on my daughter's Razr M.  She's had it for a month.  It wasn't on Jellybean out of the box but was updated quickly after activation.  Worked fine on all wifi connections including home, and a two week trip to Pacific Northwest that included hotels and homes.  Not a problem connecting at any point on any wifi.  Got her to her college and could not connect to their wifi. Same issue as others:  Strong wifi signal detected, bars drop upon initially trying to connect and attempts to connect eventually times out. Tried all the solutions (settings, reboot, hard reset, forgetting remembered wifis, etc) .  This is a location where it's not possible or feasible to "change out the routers" as others have recommended since it's a major institution and they probably have corporate routers in place at all areas of the campus. Is there a fix that can happen on the phone end or do we need to ask for a replacement?  And is this a problem that is affecting a LOT of Razr users or just a few who are vocal about this problem. I ask because what are the odds that a replacement Razr M will have the exact same issue?

Hope someone can answer these questions!

Thanks! 

0 Likes
dirkcis

My Verizon Droid X got a surprise forced update in September.  Before the update, wifi worked like a dream. Now it is extremely slow or doesn't connect.  Same degraded behavior for home network (a "supported" Cisco 3000 router) and elsewhere.  What's the deal here?  The cynic in me could say no skin off Verizon's nose since it forces me to use wireless data minutes at slower performance and they get me to upgrade to more data minutes or pay a penalty.  The reasonable side of me says PLEASE, PLEASE fix this or let me go back to the prior software/firmware version.  It was operating just fine. Your response and fix, please, Verizon?

0 Likes