Screen Tint issue and AOD issue after Oreo update?

Search This thread

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I just (excitedly) updated to Oreo, and now I am wishing I had not. I love the new features, but two really irritating issues presented themselves:

1) My screen is not tinted an awful color. It looks almost like my blue light filter is on (but it isn't - when I turn it on it gets HILARIOUSLY bad). Whites are not white. Adaptive mode is the worst, basic mode makes it tolerable but not good at all. My screen looked so much better before.

2) My always on display is wonky. It occasionally is so dim I cannot even see it. Sometimes it is fine, other time it's bad. No rhyme or reason to it (my lighting is the same so it's not adjusting to the environment).

Neither is these things were an issue before. Anyone else experiencing these things? Any idea how to fix either one?

Jahnny

Mar 31, 2018
Same issies

Horrible screen tint, opaque orange and the whites are awful. They work fine during initial bootup of the phone, then change. Contacted Verizon and Samsung, they are both aware and no fix as of yet to what the deal is. So do not update your note8, there's absolutely nothing exciting or great with the update. Waited 3+ months for this update, had it on my Z2 force and it was great, ABSOLUTELY blows on the note 8... :(

Ripthulhu

Jul 20, 2013
I just (excitedly) updated to Oreo, and now I am wishing I had not. I love the new features, but two really irritating issues presented themselves:

1) My screen is not tinted an awful color. It looks almost like my blue light filter is on (but it isn't - when I turn it on it gets HILARIOUSLY bad). Whites are not white. Adaptive mode is the worst, basic mode makes it tolerable but not good at all. My screen looked so much better before.

2) My always on display is wonky. It occasionally is so dim I cannot even see it. Sometimes it is fine, other time it's bad. No rhyme or reason to it (my lighting is the same so it's not adjusting to the environment).

Neither is these things were an issue before. Anyone else experiencing these things? Any idea how to fix either one?

Try clearing the cache in recovery
You can do that by turning the phone off
Hold Volume Up+Power+Bixby and wait till the blue screen goes away
Navigate down with the volume keys and select Wipe Cache Partition with the power button.
Select Yes
Select Reboot System Now

If that doesn't help, I would either try a factory reset or flash Oreo with Odin.

I didn't do the OTA, but flashed the ROM with Odin instead and I have zero issues

sefrcoko

Feb 20, 2012
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Navigate down with the volume keys and select Wipe Cache Partition with the power button.
Select Yes
Select Reboot System Now

If that doesn't help, I would either try a factory reset or flash Oreo with Odin.

I didn't do the OTA, but flashed the ROM with Odin instead and I have zero issues
I did the OTA and also have zero issues. Agree with suggestion for factory reset...

Jahnny

Mar 31, 2018
Update

Did the wipe cache/partition and no luck.

Won't try the FDR option as that was never worked for any issues I've had in the past decsde. Always a waste of time and hassle. Unless that's a guaranteed fix by Samsung or Verizon I will wait for a software patch update or whatever else it is to fix this issue.

Limeybastard

OP, did you have blue light filter enabled prior to Oreo update?

Furthermore, it seems to me like Samsung devices prefer having their original Android OS , meaning updates seems to make them not as true and stable as they originally were out of the box. Perhaps another little sly tactic for us users to upgrade hardware yearly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: winol

MACHEK

Oct 31, 2009

Furthermore, it seems to me like Samsung devices prefer having their original Android OS , meaning updates seems to make them not as true and stable as they originally were out of the box. Perhaps another little sly tactic for us users to upgrade hardware yearly.
I had the blue light filter on before taking the Ota and don't have this issue. I turned it off just after the Ota and looks normal

autogeek

Aug 25, 2012
I haven't taken the update. But its a new Android version. I personally always factory reset before updating to a new Android base version. I've never had issues on any phone Samsung or not when clearing data first.

Jahnny

Mar 31, 2018
The bluelight filter is off, turning it on makes it way worse. I've never had to do a FDR with any phone for an update for over a decade, but those phones were all Motorola. This is my first Samsung and it's definitely a problem with the software causing this orange effect on all the white portions of the screen. Samsung and Verizon both confirmed this has happened to several so hopefully there'll be a fix soon as this is most annoying.

RogerTheGeek

Apr 6, 2018
Clearing Blue Light or Screen Tint issues with Oreo on Samsung S8

My friend had this issue on an S8 after Oreo. It started by dismissing a dialog box when launching Google Play Books then opening a book. The dialog was asking something about Blue Light mode. Dismissing apparently caused a default to Blue Light mode and Always Enable. But, we could not find a way to get back to those settings in Google Play Books. Using the system setting to turn off did not work and turning on made screen colors worse. So, we uninstalled the Google Play Books app, restarted phone. Still bad colors at this point. Next, we re-installed app. After opening app and then selecting a book the same dialog box appeared. We selected Settings this time and turned the slider to OFF for Blue Light mode. Now, the Blue Light mode is off for the app and the rest of the phone screens outside of the app. Everything seems like correct colors again.

Even if you do not use Google Play Books, maybe this process will unstick a setting for you.

Jahnny

Mar 31, 2018
I don't use or have never used Google play books. Never seen a prompt like that either

Last edited:

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Select Yes
Select Reboot System Now

It's funny, I actually factory reset because the cache wipe didn't work. All looked well. Then after the initial setup (with a beautiful white background), my home screen popped up, and the screen immediately got all tinted. Some setting must have restored with my account! So I factory reset AGAIN, didn't import my setting or apps, then redid everything on my phone from scratch. Now it's fine. What a pain!

Reactions: sefrcoko

BigDummie

Apr 7, 2018
My friend had this issue on an S8 after Oreo. It started by dismissing a dialog box when launching Google Play Books then opening a book. The dialog was asking something about Blue Light mode. Dismissing apparently caused a default to Blue Light mode and Always Enable. But, we could not find a way to get back to those settings in Google Play Books. Using the system setting to turn off did not work and turning on made screen colors worse. So, we uninstalled the Google Play Books app, restarted phone. Still bad colors at this point. Next, we re-installed app. After opening app and then selecting a book the same dialog box appeared. We selected Settings this time and turned the slider to OFF for Blue Light mode. Now, the Blue Light mode is off for the app and the rest of the phone screens outside of the app. Everything seems like correct colors again.

Even if you do not use Google Play Books, maybe this process will unstick a setting for you.

I didn't get a blue light filter prompt when I opened google books.

GeorgeP

Sep 19, 2007

Thanks for posting this!! I had the same problem and couldn't figure why. After reading this, I went into Google Play Books and simply turned the night light off, and problem solved! It seems the nightlight setting in Google Play Books gets stuck in Oreo and overlays everything.

Reactions: RiglerTKE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Clearing Blue Light or Screen Tint issues with Oreo on Samsung S8

I'm posting to confirm that I also had this orange tint error, I just updated to Oreo tonight and noticed the tint.

I did not originally have Google Play Books installed and I was able to fix the error by doing the following:

1. Install Google Play Books

2. Download something to read (you can click the "Tell Us What You Like" button at the bottom and they will give you a free sample)

3. Open the book

4. A Pop-Up opens up saying "Night-Light Makes It Easier to Read". Click "Settings" and turn off the Night-light in the settings.

Instantly fixed it for me. Wow that was bizarre.

Thank you so much for posting this.
    I haven't taken the update. But its a new Android version. I personally always factory reset before updating to a new Android base version. I've never had issues on any phone Samsung or not when clearing data first.

Select Yes
    Select Reboot System Now

It's funny, I actually factory reset because the cache wipe didn't work. All looked well. Then after the initial setup (with a beautiful white background), my home screen popped up, and the screen immediately got all tinted. Some setting must have restored with my account! So I factory reset AGAIN, didn't import my setting or apps, then redid everything on my phone from scratch. Now it's fine. What a pain!